California in December/January

(6 Posts)
shelbelle100 Sat 02-Apr-16 22:35:45

We are thinking of going to California for 2 weeks in December/January, flying in and out of LA. Has anyone been at that time of year and what if so what would you recommend we include on the itinery? We will have a 3 year old and a 6 month old so we don't want a lot of driving and have already done PCH to SF. We have had some ideas - Santa Monica, Disney, Laguna (relatives there), San Diego for a few nights. We are also thinking of going to mammoth or big bear for a few nights. However, all just ideas at the mo. Any help much appreciated! Thanks

SquirrelledAway Sun 03-Apr-16 14:17:21

Lots to do in and around San Diego - the zoo, Legoland, USS Midway, Birch Aquarium, safari park at Escondido, museums (children's, air and space, natural history). Might be worth getting a Go San Diego card if you're planning on doing lots of stuff.

shelbelle100 Sun 03-Apr-16 17:50:13

Thanks for your help. So perhaps we plan 3 or 4 nights in San Diego.

Christabelpankhurst Mon 04-Apr-16 14:00:49

We did this in January with our 3yr old DD. She keeps asking to go back and we're thinking of doing it again next year. San Diego was fabulous, hot enough to swim outside most days. The Zoo (she especially loved the cable car and watching out for animals beneath us) and children's museum were fantastic as was Coronado beach.
Santa Monica was great and the 3rd st promenade had a soft play area that she enjoyed. There's also a really good splash park and play area in the park next to Santa Monica city hall. We ended the trip in Disney, the fireworks were amazing and in January were at the little kid friendly time of 7pm on weekdays. It was very busy on the Friday evening with lots of locals having nights out, we'd avoid fri/sat/ sun if you can. Everywhere was very child friendly and it was a brilliant holiday.

shelbelle100 Mon 04-Apr-16 18:18:36

Thanks for your message. I am really pleased to hear you had such a great time. Can I ask what your itinery was? How long did you spend at Santa Monica m, San Diego and Disney? Also when you say to avoid weekends do you mean for Disney? Thanks again for your post!

Christabelpankhurst Mon 04-Apr-16 19:42:44

Sorry yes, avoid weekends at Disney - locals have yearly passes so from Friday lunchtime it gets really busy.
We did 5 days San Diego to get over jetlag and explore (DD was fully adjusted by day 3) then a week in Santa Monica - a bit too long but it was a work trip for my husband, 4 days would have been ideal. Then we stayed in Anaheim for 3 days - Disney could be done easily in less but we found we were either shattered by 3pm if we'd gone in first thing so had a laze and a swim by the pool, or we had a leisurely morning and went in at lunch time. My DD still talks about Disneyland daily!
If you are using LAX Tom Brady International Terminal there is a small play area behind the food court for a bit of letting off steam before your return flight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now