Canada - Ontario

(12 Posts)
Shesaysso Tue 29-Mar-16 20:55:56

Thinking of going to Canada in August. I've been before but years ago.

Rough plan is Toronto for 4 days, day trip to Niagara but then what. Would like somewhere non city, any great beach towns on Lake Ontario? Will have 2 kids with me 10 & 8, the 8 year old isn't big on cities and prefers the outdoor lifestyle.

Any Canadians out there to offer advice? Thanks

SJane45S Wed 30-Mar-16 08:05:53

I lived in Toronto for awhile and liked Muskoka - lots of cottages there and a popular area for Torontonians to come for holidays. There's lakes, nature trails etc. A friend of mine is working at a hotel in Haliburton (again, lakes & cottages etc) and her pictures look great. Niagara is a must see (but personally, I've had enough after an hour) but stop by Niagara on the Lake (pretty town) on the way.

I really liked Montreal and Quebec City and would be dragging the family up there - but imagine my city hating DS would loathe it as much as your DCs! In Toronto, Centre Island, the Beaches area, the Zoo, CN Tower etc are all good for kids. Have fun!

Shesaysso Wed 30-Mar-16 20:37:21

Thanks very much SJane45S that's really useful x

nmg85 Sun 03-Apr-16 11:35:28

The Aquarium near the CN tower was also quite good with touch pools, Shark tunnel and also a room lit just by jelly fish. Lots of hands on things for kids. If you get the HOHO bus you also get a boat trip around the islands which was nice.

GinandJag Sun 03-Apr-16 11:42:35

Muskoka is fantastic.

There are lots of hotels (resorts) that have children's programs and evening entertainment.

We went to Cleveland's House a few years ago and all the kids loved it. All means were provided so I loved it too.

irregularegular Mon 11-Apr-16 13:43:15

If you want outdoorsy, do a canoe and camping safari in Algonquin! We went with these guys last summer: www.algonquinparkcanoetrips.com/

It was fab!

We preferred Montreal to Toronto, but can see the appeal of 'ticking off' Niagara. You can actually do some nice walking well away from the crowds in the Niagara Glen nature reserve.

If you can fit it in between Niagara and Toronto, then this maple syrup farm is really sweet and interesting. I'd go there over Niagara on the Lake, which I found fairly dull.

iseenodust Sun 17-Apr-16 16:01:14

Another vote for Algonquin. We stayed in a lodge and just explored / spotted wildlife.
While in Toronto if there is a Blue Jays match on that is a fun thing to go and see.

irregularegular Sun 17-Apr-16 18:23:03

oops - didnt give the link for the maple syrup farm!

www.whitemeadowsfarms.com/

Shesaysso Mon 18-Apr-16 21:49:22

Thanks everyone - all looks fab.

StillRunningWithScissors Mon 18-Apr-16 22:13:27

If you're heading to niagara falls, there are lots of vineyards to visit, and niagara on the lake too.

From there, head to Lake Erie (not far), turkey point or long point are brilliant beaches. Sandy, shallow for ages and usually warm up pretty well. Lots of cottages for rent.

They're closer than Algonquin (although I do love it up there too).

:-)

mzmum78 Fri 06-May-16 03:47:03

Am an expat living in Ontario. If you want a great experience outside of a city go onto cottagesincanada.com or similar and book a lake front cottage in the Muskoka or Kawartha area. You wont be sorry. Beautiful scenery. Swimming in fresh water lakes etc, Magical !

spababe Wed 28-Sep-16 13:58:26

We are going to have a couple of days at the Blue Mountain Village - about 90mins from Toronto (there is a shuttle bus) and go hiking, canoeing, ride the gondla up the mountain, luge ride etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now