Washington DC - 6 yr old daughter

(6 Posts)
dadwithadaughter Sun 27-Mar-16 13:35:48

We are just about to head to DC with Grandma and our DD for a four days ahead of a Disney trip to Florida. I have been many times to DC but this is the first family trip. We are staying just across the street from the White House. Any suggestions about what to do? A mixture of basic US government foundation pre-election and just fun stuff

bojorojo Wed 30-Mar-16 17:47:42

Not sure if you are there now, but there are some great museums in Washington. I would especially recommend the Museum of Flight and The Museum of American History. Both have wonderful things to look at and brilliant for children. Go to the Georgetown area for historic Washington.

dadwithadaughter Wed 30-Mar-16 21:17:16

Thank you. Arrived an hour ago. Great weather!

ShanghaiDiva Thu 31-Mar-16 01:33:20

All the museums are great and when I was there (19 years ago!) all free. Bureau of engraving and printing where you can see money being printed also interesting.

MadisonAvenue Thu 31-Mar-16 02:06:08

Have a wonderful time - I love Washington! As already mentioned, the museums are definitely worth a visit. I can recommend the Air & Space Museum, Natural History and American History. All are located along the National Mall and entry is free! As well as the museums, you have the National Zoo which is also free - and they have pandas!

dadwithadaughter Thu 31-Mar-16 19:26:36

Thanks again for the advice.

We hit the Air and Space museum this morning after a walk from the White House to the Washington Memorial. Zoo tomorrow, weather permitting. Will definitely look up the engraving museum.

Assuming my daughter is still awake we will do a sunset visit to the monuments in the basin, especially Lincoln Memorial.

Good fist day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now