Hong Kong hotels / tips

(7 Posts)
snowydrops Tue 22-Mar-16 13:50:48

We are planning a 3-4 week trip to Oz next Spring and thinking of stopping over in HK with our 5 and 2 yr old to break the journey.

Can anyone suggest a decent (but perhaps not overly pricey...) hotel and what we should do / where we could eat when there?

Thanks

ShanghaiDiva Tue 22-Mar-16 13:57:52

The Salisbury hotel which is part of the YMCA complex is good value and in an excellent location - next to the Peninsula Hotel and you can see the light show from your room. Family rooms are a good size, particularly for HK. There are at least 2 restaurants there and the one on the ground floor is fine - nothing fancy but godd for kids. You can also use the pool at the YMCA for free. Metro is nearby and you can easily walk to Star Ferry and Harbour City for food and shopping.
www.booking.com/searchresults.en-us.html?aid=311088;label=hotel-55019-hk-LYFsorTzdo3OvAJ9LsjZxwS95677088644%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg%3Afi%3Atikwd-216964076%3Alp1023640%3Ali%3Adec%3Adm;sid=d95042aaf8f0e9027abbabee10c018dc;dcid=4;dest_id=-1353149;dest_type=city;highlighted_hotels=55019;hlrd=1;redirected=1;source=hotel&

GinSolvesEverything Wed 23-Mar-16 02:00:01

The Eaton hotel is excellent, and has really great family rooms plus a rooftop pool. It's the sister hotel of the Langham so is really good quality without the price tag.

Loads of food places around as its on Nathan road, and there is also a McDonald's and Starbucks within a few meters of the hotel too. Also a supermarket in the basement of a department store over the road. 5 mins walk to the metro station, and the shuttle buses from the airport are really easy.

I'd also highly recommend a day at Disneyland if you can. It's a 15 minute can ride away from the airport and is a small park that is more geared towards younger kids than Disney California.

shiteforbrains Wed 23-Mar-16 03:22:14

We stayed in the Harbour Grand Plaza which was beautiful.

I would recommend a trip to the Po Lin monastery. Really quite spectacular.

There is an excellent revolving restaurant in the Hopewell Centre.

ICantDecideOnAUsername Wed 23-Mar-16 04:21:41

We stopped at HK on the way to New Zealand 2 years ago and loved it. We were there 2 nights but I could have a full holiday there.
We stayed at the holiday inn in soho on Jervois Street on Hong Kong Island. .
http://www.booking.com/hotel/hk/holiday-inn-express-hong-kong-soho.en-gb.html
It was a great location, it felt really Chinese (some parts of the city are just like any other big city) close to the subway and there are some very interesting places nearby, there's a lovely temple now far away. The hotel itself was still being finished when we were there. The room was great and the staff lovely. I would highly recommend it. I can't recall how much it was but it seemed good value compared to others I looked at. There were lots of Chinese people staying there, which to me is always a good sign.
You must take the tram up Victoria peak for the views and take a boat across to Kowloon. Enjoy!

ICantDecideOnAUsername Wed 23-Mar-16 04:28:52

Oh and I second Disneyland. We had our 2 yo with us and we all loved it. We had an evening flight out so took all our bags on the metro straight to Disneyland (easy to do, in fact a taxi driver suggested it), left everything at the baggage drop and then took a short taxi ride to the airport afterwards.
Alternatively if not going there on your way to the airport, you can check in your bags in the city centre up to (I think) a day before your flight. You have to buy a metro ticket direct to the airport as part of the deal (hence why no good if you are stopping at Disneyland as its a different line).

honeyroar Mon 28-Mar-16 20:17:52

I've stayed at the Harbour Grand too, it's lovely. Also stayed at the Excelsior, which is lovely but doesn't have its own pool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now