Boston at Christmas time

(11 Posts)
Hackedabove Sun 20-Mar-16 06:38:01

Really pleased to have booked some flights to visit my brother over Christmas and now the fun bit of planning what to do begins...

I have in my head we can go skiing from somewhere a few hrs drive away, does anyone know if this is possible or have any other ideas of what we should do?

Want to spend the first week doing our own thing.

It's me and DH, with DSs who will be 11 and 8.

We did New York on the train when we visited 4 years ago at Easter, so don't want to do that again.

Anyone have any experience of stuff around Boston?

TIA

LIZS Sun 20-Mar-16 06:58:08

We did this pre kids. Skiing around North Conway and Loon Mountain a couple of hours away . Boston itself was very quiet.

Hackedabove Sun 20-Mar-16 07:15:18

Thanks v much for swift response!

My DH loves skiing, we've been once with DS1 skiing at the age of 4, but my excuse is it's so expensive, he's generally done a blokes trip since then without us.

So it is possible? I just wondered if I was deluded, when did you do it? I also wondered if mid Dec too early for snow, but from what I can tell so far online the season is over now so they get enough snow then?

DH wasn't keen to go so if we can do some family skiing I'll get some brownie points, ie a happier husband.

Hackedabove Sun 20-Mar-16 07:17:29

Love the name Loon Mountain too grin

LIZS Sun 20-Mar-16 07:18:13

It was 20 or so years ago but we found plenty of snow and quiet pistes. There was deep snow in central Boston too.

Hackedabove Sun 20-Mar-16 07:33:28

I think it depends, this winter wasn't too bad but year before snow where my brother lives in Lexington was deep for weeks, but think that was unusual year.

Themodernuriahheap Sun 20-Mar-16 07:43:53

Go to Concord, beautiful Louisa M Alcott/ walden pre revolutionary town, v v classic New England.

Skiing easy provided right amount if snow.

TrespassesW Mon 21-Mar-16 06:37:12

Oh, my brother lives in Lexington too! And we may be going this Christmas smile Skiing at Loon mountain very do-able for a couple of days and there are some lovely places to stay. Not sure if the snow is guaranteed though, seems to vary year to year.

Hackedabove Mon 21-Mar-16 16:57:37

Yes that's what he said it's not generally that snowy then.

Hackedabove Wed 17-Aug-16 21:42:33

So we now have another option to add into the mix.

Our friends recently emigrated to Toronto and we would love to meet up with them, 5 hrs drive for each of us could be done?! But would we end up in the middle of nowhere?

Or we were thinking of going here www.jiminypeak.com/

Which I think would be easy for us but too tricky for the friends to get to from Toronto confused

Hackedabove Wed 17-Aug-16 21:43:29

And not so important to go skiing since none of friends have done it yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now