Holiday in Bali at 22 weeks - thoughts?

(15 Posts)
glh123 Wed 09-Mar-16 21:40:44

Hi there. Anyone been to Bali whilst pregnant? Thinking of going next month (April) I'll be 21-22 weeks pregnant, last big holiday before little one arrives. Any thoughts, positive and not so positive all
welcome. Thanks 😃

mummymeister Thu 10-Mar-16 08:47:50

I wouldn't personally. its an awfully long flight and very hot but it all depends on how well you are, how the pregnancy is going etc. I did still go away when pregnant but not flying and stayed closer to home.

Sootica Thu 10-Mar-16 08:51:41

I went to Bali and Australia at 24-28 weeks pregnant and had an amazing relaxinv time. I was having an easy pregnancy though and was only 25. Just stretch and move a lot on the plane and wear those support stockings.

slicedfinger Thu 10-Mar-16 08:52:09

I went to the Maldives at 21 weeks. The only problem I had was that the hotel wouldn't give me a massage. Being the Maldives though it was easy to hop to an a/c room when j got too hot. I imagine Bali to be different in that respect, in that you may be further from your hotel!

mummymeister Thu 10-Mar-16 08:53:14

Just had a quick look about Zika and Bali and would suggest you get some advice about it. I would avoid anywhere with Zika if pregnant.

Sootica Thu 10-Mar-16 08:54:24

I got loads of pregnancy massages in Bali smile

saffronwblue Thu 10-Mar-16 08:55:13

I would also check the level of terrorism warnings around Bali - I think it is quite high at the moment.

glh123 Thu 10-Mar-16 11:42:56

Thank you all, that's really helpful! I've checked zica and they don't have it there- or malaria so that's a relief. Will check the terrorism threats too.

GrinAndTonic Thu 10-Mar-16 11:56:40

What happens if you go into labour? Bali does not have the neonatal or maternal facilities and nothing could or would be done to stop the labour.
If you had the baby and it survived then would your travel insurance cover you all or would you have a sob story go fund me account to raise money to pay for the medical bills?
In short, don't go. I really wouldn't risk it.
Plus it's full of Australians getting pissed on Bintang.

May09Bump Thu 10-Mar-16 12:01:02

Hi, they do have Zika- a couple of people have contracted it via Monkey bites. My DH has just come back from there and the mosquito's are biting hard at the moment (another source of contracting it). I wouldn't risk it.

sparechange Thu 10-Mar-16 12:05:05

They have had a spike in Dengue fever in Bali recently.
My friend went last year with her DH and 1 year old DD, and both her and her DH caught it and were seriously ill. Thankfully, their DD was ok, but having heard how ill my friend was, there was no way I'd risk that while pregnant

CaptainWarbeck Thu 10-Mar-16 13:37:16

Plus high risk of Bali belly which I imagine would be dire if you're pregnant.

mummymeister Thu 10-Mar-16 13:39:53

I just googled zika and bali and it came up in the first couple of threads so not sure where you are looking for this advice OP.

really wouldn't go personally. you cannot avoid being bitten, no one can. no matter how much you smother yourself in spray (not recommended) or cover up, you will get bitten.

pick somewhere closer to home with no dengue or zika for your own peace of mind.

redhat Thu 10-Mar-16 13:45:06

Bali does have Zika. My DSis has just come back.

saffronwblue Fri 11-Mar-16 01:16:45

Australian government travel warning says 'recent indications suggest that terrorists may be in the advanced stages of preparing attacks in Indonesia.'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now