UK to Australia with toddler, stopover or not?

(12 Posts)
DeloresDeSyn Sat 05-Mar-16 11:30:50

We are going to Sydney later this year, we have 4 DC one of whom will be just 2. The others are old enough to be ok either way but I'm thinking with the very busy and loud toddler it may be better to stop for a day or two somewhere?

We don't have to be there in a rush (moving there for a year), but can't afford a big holiday on the way. A couple of nights would be manageable though.

I am not a confident flyer, I will be able to hide it to a degree but I will be stressed.

DC4 is pretty full on and is a terrible sleeper, but hopefully will still be breastfeeding and at the moment thinks telly/iPad is amazing so hopefully that's two sources of distraction!

So my questions if you've got any advice are-
would you stop over or just get it over with, and if yes, where would you stop?
Who is best to fly with when you have DC?
Any other tips flying so far?

Astrophe Sat 05-Mar-16 11:36:25

We stopped over in Singapore for two nights with DC then ages 4 and 2.5. We flew with Singapore airlines and organised the whole stopper through them- transfers, accommodation and activities (bird park, zoo and night zoo), it was all really easy and well organised and worked well for us.

Astrophe Sat 05-Mar-16 11:37:14

Whereabouts in Syd you moving?

DeloresDeSyn Sat 05-Mar-16 11:48:14

We are going inland from Sydney, I'd rather not say where as it would make me even more identifiable Astrophe, should have changed my user name first shouldn't I!

I had heard that Singapore airlines were good,I like the idea of being able to book it all through them, do you think it was hard work leaving the airport, baggage etc? How did they cope getting back on a plane a couple of days later?

Astrophe Sat 05-Mar-16 11:58:41

Fair enough!

It was several years ago tbh but I can't remember it being too hard getting back on the plane - it's only the short leg after all (8 hours roughly).
I can't remember re luggage either. Did they keep it for us and check it thru to our next flight? Or did we take it to the hotel? Either way it was all easy, transfers were all included in the package we bought.

Astrophe Sat 05-Mar-16 11:59:42

(I was 8 weeks pg with dc3 at the time and feeling really sick, so my memories are a little hazy)

DeloresDeSyn Sat 05-Mar-16 12:18:24

Thanks Astrophe yuk to flying with morning sickness.

citysnow Mon 21-Mar-16 18:05:58

I always go straight through. But then I'm desperate to get back home and see family.

Singapore airport great for stop over. Indoor play areas, butterfly park to visit, friendly staff, massage chairs.... (Depending on which terminal but all have playground) Our 2 hour stop over last time was almost not long enough to run the kids around at play area (good as it was 10am UK time so they needed some quality play and exercise time!)

ShanghaiDiva Tue 22-Mar-16 14:01:26

Hong Kong is also good for a stopover and if you stay eg at City Gate Mall area (Novotel there) then HK Disney is close and great for a day out.
Airlines - Cathay or Singapore

Ditsy4 Wed 30-Mar-16 16:52:51

Singapore airlines are wonderful but more expensive. I've flown with them and also Qantas which is also good but not quite as good as SA.
I stay at the Furama. It is wonderful. Has a great pool. It was recommended to us by a NZ guy. Nothing is too much trouble. Rooms are great and good air con. China town behind it and short walk to restaurants. They arranged for transport to Island of Sentosa to see the butterflies and the pink Dolphins (pinkish tummy) I wouls also recommend the Botanical Gardens. Overnight stay is ok two nights are better. Most people speak English. I book a car when I book my flight but I think there might be a bus.
I take a change of clothes in hand luggage and the rest stays at airport and gets checked through. Easy!
There is a swimming pool at the airport hotel which for a small sum you can use. Go into Singapore City rather than stay there though as it is much more of an experience. Haven't been to Little India but that is my next visit.

Ditsy4 Wed 30-Mar-16 16:56:11

Restaurants at Waterside are great. Go to Raffles Hotel for a drink. There is a great Hard Rock Cafe too. I fly to Sydney by the way.

geekaMaxima Wed 30-Mar-16 17:08:15

I would go straight through (or quick stopover of an hour or two) rather than lay over for days. A multi day layover just drags out the whole travel trauma for me, so I'd avoid it unless I desperately wanted to see Singapore etc.

We flew to Oz and back with a 20 month old last year, with a quick change of plane in the Middle East. It was fine. DS played games and watched CBeebies downloads on an iPad, slept a lot, ran around the cabin a bit between meals. The plane was his home from home for the day we spent in the sky.

On arrival in Australia, we tried to stick to local time for meals and bedtime straightaway, with extra naps for DS when it all became too much. It took a couple of days before he was over the worst of the jet lag, maybe 3-4 days before his nap was at a normal time and he slept through at night as he usually would. I'm glad we got to do all that from our own apartment where we could keep our own timetable, rather than have to do the whole airport stress again with a grumpy toddler who needed to nap at unpredictable times.

Ymmv!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now