Turkish airlines

(25 Posts)
Calhx7 Wed 17-Feb-16 14:44:50

Has anyone flown turkish airlines business class long haul? I need to book flights from Manchester to johannasburg and turkish airlines are coming up around £400 each less than air France or etihad. Is it worth the saving?

Madbengalmum Wed 17-Feb-16 20:17:04

Only flown to istanbul with them, but business was very good.
The food is decent and modern planes. They have won airline of the year amd have a very good reputation. Etihad business is also excellent.
I wouldnt hesitate.

MozzchopsThirty Sat 20-Feb-16 12:35:01

I wouldn't fly Turkish if you paid for the flight

Etihad are fab, along with most middle eastern airlines

Madbengalmum Sat 20-Feb-16 16:22:52

Really Mozzchops, did you try them recently??
I fly regularly with etihad, emirates, cathay etc.
Turkish are all new planes and their lounges are fab.

MozzchopsThirty Sun 21-Feb-16 00:39:18

I refuse to fly with anyone who may have a less than satisfactory maintenance programme and Turkish fall into that!

Are all their planes new or just re-fitted? I doubt they're all new.

I like BA & Emirates best, and have flown business and economy on both

ketchupontoast Sun 21-Feb-16 15:46:14

Can you fly to dublin first? Flights to Jo are much cheaper from there. You can save 100s and fly with a decent airline tho it does make your flight longer.

Madbengalmum Tue 23-Feb-16 17:23:13

Turkish have just been named airline of the year, and have a brand new fleet and fantastic food and service levels, which is why i asked if you had flown recently with them ie in the last two years? Obviously not as i think your information and opinion would change.
Ba club, aside from AA is now one of the worst business class service out there.
Etihad and emirates service is very good, but turkish is absolutely comparable when you have used them all recently.

MozzchopsThirty Tue 23-Feb-16 22:41:22

No interest in their food or how good it is, I wouldn't fly them for maintenance alone

Madbengalmum Wed 24-Feb-16 16:28:22

Still struggling to see why if their maintence of new planes was an issue, why they would be awarded airline of the year??

PestoSkiissimos Wed 24-Feb-16 16:31:49

They're not new planes though,

www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/THY%20Turkish%20Airlines.htm

Madbengalmum Wed 24-Feb-16 16:32:47

In fact they have just opened their new £550 million pound maintenace facility, and it is one of the worlds most modern and technologically sound in the world, ooops in fact they are even servicing planes for BA and Emirates when they are in the vicinity!
Better avoid travelling with Emirates and BA now Mozzchops.

Madbengalmum Wed 24-Feb-16 16:35:22

Well they average the same age as emirates and are twice as new as BA.
So compared to most fleets they are.
They have just placed a large order with us this year and had fourty new planes from us last year.

Thelwell Wed 24-Feb-16 16:42:04

Turkish is loads better than etihad.....in my humble (and recent) experience of both airlines.

Madbengalmum Wed 24-Feb-16 16:43:28

Thelwell, i really rate it too, but it appears someone who has never tried it knows far more than we do!

P1nkP0ppy Wed 24-Feb-16 16:46:59

DD flies with Turkish Airways all the time and says the service is brilliant. At the moment she's flying with them every couple of weeks.

Hennifer Wed 24-Feb-16 16:50:31

I'd only be concerned from a security point of view. There was a recent (unconfirmed) bomb attack on a flight out of Mogadishu which was supposed to be operated by Turkish, but was flown by a different airline. Some confusion as to why.

I'm not really a tin hatter but I'd be worried in case someone has it in for them.

Hennifer Wed 24-Feb-16 16:52:40

Not seeking to imply Turkish don't have great security. Probably the opposite if anything. You should be fine; it's very unlikely that anything would happen.

Madbengalmum Wed 24-Feb-16 16:56:40

Istanbul airport is the only airport that i have had to go through security before i even entered the building.
It is the safest i have felt for a long time, as nobody was allowed into the airport without being throughly checked and scanned.
I think all airports should follow the same proceedure.

Hennifer Wed 24-Feb-16 16:58:55

Yes fair point

MGQ not exactly top of the list on checks grin

As with most things it depends where you're flying from and to, I suppose

Thelwell Wed 24-Feb-16 17:04:40

In Istanbul you go through security check to get into flipping Marks & Spencer at the moment grin

Madbengalmum Wed 24-Feb-16 17:06:33

Yup, i am certainly in no rush to go back at the mo, thou i do love istanbul!

Izlet Wed 24-Feb-16 18:41:41

I think Turkish airlines is fab, I fly once every couple of months with them, great service, great food (well, for an airline) and usually nice planes. I've done both short and long haul with them and have never had a bad flight. Except perhaps when it had snowed in Istanbul and they'd only cleared the runways. The parking bays hadn't been cleared and the plane did skid a little when attaching itself to the gate shock.

I agree about the security in Istanbul, I do sometimes get a little wobbly before I go, but once I'm there I feel perfectly safe, possibly more so than I did in Paris a while ago.

Flingingmelon Wed 24-Feb-16 19:05:58

Turkish airlines are fantastic. I've been flying with them for over a decade, all over the place. They're a billion times better than BA.

Flingingmelon Wed 24-Feb-16 19:08:49

They are aggressively trying to take over Emirates airline share though, which would explain the bargain price.

Eiliyah Mon 04-Apr-16 11:31:49

I had pleasant experience with <a href=https://www.rehlat.com/en/airlines/turkey/turkish-tickets-online-booking/">Turkish Airlines</a> impressed with the aircraft cleanliness service food and especially free WiFi on board. Ground staff in Istanbul all excellent and efficient. I fly with Turkish a few times a year and will continue to do so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now