Clearing JFK security & immigration, then getting to lower Manhattan?

(6 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Wed 17-Feb-16 08:33:33

Does anyone have recent experience of this?

I have a biometric passport, will be travelling alone, but I need to have luggage that falls outside the cabin luggage classification, so I'm trying to work out average time from landing to getting into a taxi.

I'm booked for AirBNB, the keys are available from a shop that closes at 2200 and my flight doesn't land until 1930, I think it might be cutting it very fine, allowing for taxi queue etc.

TIA

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 17-Feb-16 10:04:14

I'd say around 90 minutes plus from landing to getting into a taxi (have arrived there at around that time of evening also). JFK is a huge airport and planes can take some time to arrive also at their allocated stand.

I would give the store a call when you first able to do so and certainly when you at the carousel waiting for your luggage.

DickDewy Wed 17-Feb-16 10:09:37

It's a pretty long cab ride into mahattan - about an hour, I'd say.

Plus the queue for cabs is usually quite long.

If you're a previous ESTA holder, immigration is pretty quick, so I'd say you will get there within 3 hours but have a contingency.

Spike45 Wed 17-Feb-16 10:14:56

Uber rather than the taxi q....about 10 min wait as opposed to about 45mins!

titchy Wed 17-Feb-16 10:28:00

Depending on which part of Manhattan a taxi could only be half an hour in the evening, with no queue. Immigration on the other hand..... We were in a queue for almost three hours - our body clocks landed at 1am and finally got to hotel at 5am body clock time.

MrsBertMacklin Sat 20-Feb-16 08:32:45

Thanks everyone, I've asked for alternative key arrangements to be made, 10pm is cutting it too fine IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now