Where will be low season for child-free holiday for us in July....?

(13 Posts)
cruusshed Tue 16-Feb-16 18:44:24

After 17 years and 4 kids - we have the opportunity for 10 days away ALONE - child free....

Fancy something different - road trip / adventure etc - but do not want to be stung by high costs as peak season for certain resorts/holidays. Dont want to go where lots of families will be.

Dont do luxury beach stuff

Thought about Iceland.....any other ideas?

Chewbecca Tue 16-Feb-16 18:52:22

Canada? Vancouver, Rockies etc?

Ooogetyooo Tue 16-Feb-16 20:12:28

South Africa mild weather, cheap to travel due to the Rand, great food beautiful scenery. We went a few years ago in October and would go back in a shot. no jet lag either.

Bunbaker Tue 16-Feb-16 20:57:46

The Azores

BoomBoomsCousin Thu 18-Feb-16 01:03:53

Second South Africa. Went in June some years ago and it was incredible. Safari is good that time of year because the animals are more active trying to stay warm!

nmg85 Thu 18-Feb-16 18:20:11

Iceland, Norway, Canada, Italy, Sweden

mummymeister Mon 22-Feb-16 15:19:15

July is a peak month in quite a lot of countries because for example both Ireland and Scotland have broken up then as have all the private schools, Denmark, Germany etc.

if you really want out of peak season then just after May half term at the start to the middle of June will get you the cheapest deals.

Whathaveilost Mon 22-Feb-16 15:25:55

A lot of the skiing resorts are cheaper although in recent years some have been promoted as mountain bike and hiking areas! Austria is good. I also like Germany.
Try some of the countries around the Baltic as well I have been to a nice beach in Latvia with the kids and had a great time in the National park in Estonia.

Iceland is amazing but can be very cool even in the summer months. To do a road trip in Iceland you would need a 4x4 which can be hugely expensive unless you use want to stick to the orbital road and what's the point in that!!

chemenger Wed 24-Feb-16 09:26:18

We were in Iceland in July, a stopover on the way to Nova Scotia. It was distinctly cool, and windy. I have been before in June and then it was also very wet in the south. There is lots to do from Reykjavik, it is expensive but not as bad as it used to be - London prices for food and drink.
I would thoroughly recommend Nova Scotia in July, its climate is much like the UK. There are loads of nice hotels and B&Bs, the food and people are lovely. Its a very easy destination for a road trip, we had a convertible which was fun, this was our first child free holiday for 18 years! Its very beautiful, especially Cape Breton (although often its hard to see the landscape for the trees). Lots of walking, boat trips etc. We found it quite cheap for accommodation and food - lobster dinner for £15 for three courses. If you fly IcelandAir you can easily combine the two destinations, although the timings of the return flight were not ideal.

nmg85 Wed 24-Feb-16 09:46:00

Nova Scotia is amazing and so is the province of New Brunswick next door. 10 days would be to little to do Nova Scotia and Iceland justice in my view.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Fri 26-Feb-16 16:28:25

Peru, Chile, Argentina www.exodus.co.uk for inspiration. Fab company, thoroughly recommend them.

chemenger Fri 26-Feb-16 17:21:52

I would agree that 10 days is too short to do justice to Nova Scotia and Iceland, but you can get a taste of both in that time. Literally, since we went on a culinary version of the Golden Circle tour in Iceland and a brewery tour (only go on the brewery tour if you really like beer, there is a lot more drinking than touring!) and a distillery visit in Nova Scotia. We are keen to return to both Nova Scotia and Iceland, possibly Nova Scotia more than Iceland.

SquirrelledAway Fri 26-Feb-16 20:58:06

South Africa definitely - you could do a lot in 10 days, it will be quiet (we did it in July a couple of years ago), no jet lag, good value due to the exchange rate - you'd have a ball.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now