San Diego Hotels

(9 Posts)
bruffin Sat 13-Feb-16 16:14:28

We are doing a 20 day road trip in California, DH and I + DD 18 and DS 20 and ending up the last 3 days in San Diego (september). We have the Wyndham Gardens booked which was the travel agents suggestion but I am not so keen now, other hotels he has booked were really nice.
I would like to be more central.

What is the best area to stay in, we would like to be able to walk to restaurants etc . Its the last 3 days of our holiday so want to be able to relax
is the Gaslamp Quarter too busy/ noisy at night? Would Bayside be quieter?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 13-Feb-16 16:55:41

You're a bit out of the way location wise with that hotel.

If you want somewhere more central I would recommend the Hilton San Diego Bayfront; a good location and an easy 10 minute walk on level ground from the Gaslamp Quarter. Also you are not too far away from the USS Midway aircraft museum.

I never found that part of town noisy at all and we were there in August.

bruffin Sat 13-Feb-16 17:25:08

Thanks
Will look at the Hilton as well

LizzieMacQueen Sat 13-Feb-16 17:29:54

Have you got the budget for this?

hotel del Coronado

discoboogaloo Sat 13-Feb-16 17:35:13

The del is lovely, but it's all the way over the bridge on the far side of Coronado island. I second something closer the the Gaslamp Quarter. I've never found it too noisy there, but then again I've slept on the sidewalk outside the convention centre during comic con, so your milage might vary. smile

CMOTDibbler Sat 13-Feb-16 17:36:07

I've stayed at the Bayfront Hilton and the Marriott which is the other side of the convention centre from the Hilton.

Both were a v quick walk into the Gaslamp, but far enough that you don't get the noise, especially at the weekend. I like being able to walk round in San Diego, and if you've been driving a lot that will make a change.

bruffin Sat 13-Feb-16 19:26:30

Thanks everyone
Unfortunately Hilton looks a bit expensivev for us,as is the del Coronado . Some Like it Hot is one of my old favorites so will have to go for a look. We have blown the budget in SF.
Looking at the Wyndham Bayside now which is nearer Little Italy i think but by the ferry and 10 minute walk from USS Midway museum.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 13-Feb-16 20:51:11

Have a look also at the Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego Bay Downtown. Rates are reasonable if cost is a factor.

Rooms are nice and quiet and they serve breakfast as part of the room rate. Its also near the USS Midway and Seaport Village.

SquirrelledAway Tue 16-Feb-16 14:41:41

If there's a big conference on in town then the Hilton gets really busy.

DH has stayed at the Humphrey's Half Moon on Shelter Island, which he said was fine but it is a little out of town.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now