Should we Stopover or Power Through???

(15 Posts)
oobedobe Mon 01-Feb-16 18:57:35

Flying later this year from Toronto to Sydney, via Hong Kong. First leg is 15 hrs (overnight), second leg is during the day (9 hrs) arriving in Sydney in the early evening. Travelling with (fairly well travelled) 8 and 4 yo.

I can't work out if a stop of two nights in Hong Kong will be worth it, or if it would just mean spending two cranky days in a small hotel room trying to sight-see with overtired/jetlagged kids? Once we get to Sydney we have family to stay with/help with the kids, so more restful once we arrive there...

I am leaning towards 'power through' but wondering if I am committing us to some kind of hell on earth! Total journey time is 28hrs shock

Thoughts, suggestions, tips please smile

GinSolvesEverything Tue 02-Feb-16 06:52:44

Personally id power through. I did a similar journey a few months ago, but with 4 nights in HK. The jet lag was not great, and the first two days were a struggle with tired kids. The last two days were at Disney so miles better! Disneyland is about a 15 minute cab ride from the airport, so you could even do a day stop, depending on flight times, and then just knacker everyone so completely that you all sleep on the HK to Sydney leg?

The other direction we went straight through and it was FINE. kids similar ages to yours, and I just got them to sleep 4-5 hours on each leg which worked out perfectly.

johendy Tue 02-Feb-16 06:56:21

I'd power through too. I travel London to NZ with my 2 (under 4 though) every year and we always go straight through. I think it's easier to adjust to the time difference once, the great weather in Sydney will help as will having family around. Being at someone's home with ask that freedom had got to be better than in a hotel in a busy city I think

SavoyCabbage Tue 02-Feb-16 07:00:33

I always go straight through too but I think it's a personal decision. Some peop,e love a stopover and can't think of anything worse that getting straight in another plane.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 02-Feb-16 16:57:08

TBH I would break the journey in HK so you can have a proper meal, a chance to stretch your legs, a proper flush toilet and a bed.

ihatethecold Tue 02-Feb-16 17:29:55

I know this isn't your question but wouldn't it be quicker to go the other way round?

JustWantMyMoneyBack Tue 02-Feb-16 17:38:29

I don't like travelling on planes (who does?!) so would rather get the misery over and done with as quickly as possible.

oobedobe Tue 02-Feb-16 18:42:13

Thanks for the replies and tips, we will get a couple of hours at HK airport to stretch our legs and get a snack. But I think going straight through will be the best option this time.

ihatethecold you're right it is a bit shorter flying time to go via the states (LA or Dallas - shorter first leg, then 15hrs to Sydney), but I am choosing based on price and I have found the best deal going via HK. Also the total trip times are not that much different overall...

Onykahonie Tue 02-Feb-16 22:53:24

We did a similar trip last year and powered through. Assuming you're travelling economy, you can look for a quiet lounge area at HK (near onward boarding point), which you can find enough space to lie down and take a proper nap, if need be.

snowypenguin Wed 03-Feb-16 13:30:52

Just get there!

MissWimpyDimple Sun 07-Feb-16 22:26:36

Definitely power through. I just did with my 9yo and although it was tough I can't imagine breaking it up would help much. I suppose it depends a bit on what you are doing there. I wouldn't waste 2 of my holiday days on a stopover but if I had endless time I possibly would and treat it as part of the holiday.

If budget is a consideration, I can't imagine 2 nights in HK and associated costs would come cheap?

Bunbaker Mon 08-Feb-16 20:50:59

We had a 13 hour flight to Hong Kong, arriving on Saturday at about 9 am. Most of the rest of the day was written off due to jet lag, and we didn't surface until about 4ish. It isn't worth paying for a two night stopover if you aren't in any fit state to make the most of it.

Flingingmelon Mon 08-Feb-16 23:02:33

Either power through or stay in some all inclusive hotel where you literally have nothing to do except eat and sleep and hang out by the pool, thus forcing yourselves to relax.

Otherwise yes, misery.

Have a great trip though!

NisekoWhistler Tue 09-Feb-16 05:15:17

How long is the stop over if you "power through" and what time do you land and leave HK? I can help make suggestions once I have more of an idea...if interested.

LottieTee Wed 24-Feb-16 20:52:05

Another vote for powering through. If you stop you're going to be dealing with jet lag twice - so better to just be faced with one jetlag mega-portion when you get to Australia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now