Disney world... What are the 'Must see's'

(12 Posts)
Pigleychez Sun 24-Jan-16 18:47:12

Just booked for 2 weeks in August with DD's who will be 8 and 6 by then.

The parades / fireworks will be high on the list as will meeting princesses etc but wondering if any experienced Disney folk have anything other ideas/must do's.

Any tips etc are gratefully received too smile

Floowho Sun 24-Jan-16 18:50:20

Harry Potter at Universal was fab, if they are fans. Magic Kingdom is just mad all year round. Are you in a house or hotel?

Cloudybutwarm Sun 24-Jan-16 18:54:46

Book a character meal - always great fun

Sort fast passes for the rides you are most interested in

Go to the Cheesecake Factory

Pigleychez Sun 24-Jan-16 19:00:26

ah yes, Character meals.. will look into them.

We are staying onsite and think most of our time will be in the various disney parks. Hiring a car too as plan to venture to the beaches for a few day trips and breaks from the hustle bustle.

ImCatbug Sun 24-Jan-16 19:11:59

Festival of the Lion King is a great show in Animal Kingdom, would recommend that. The main parade in Magic Kingdom, Festival of Fantasy, is also amazing! For the parades and the firework shows, you want to get a seat along the parade route/near the castle quite a while before they start, at least 30mins, as people start waiting for them at least an hour before and it can be hard to get a good view.

Magic Kingdom is the main park, you'll want at least a day for that. The don't-miss rides are (IMO): Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, 7 Dwarves Mine Train, it's a small world, Pirates of the Caribbean and Jungle Cruise. The Enchanted Tiki Room is also great, it's a short animatronic show.

Hollywood studios also has great rides, like Rock'n'rollercoaster, Star Tours, Tower of Terror and The Great Movie ride.

I'd recommend getting Disney tickets linked to a My Disney Experience account (you can link once you buy the tickets), then you can create and organise restaurant reservations and ride fastpasses online or on an app, it was so useful for us when we went. And you can get magic bands when you're there and use them instead of hard tickets, they're electronic wristbands.

Thegreatunslept Sun 24-Jan-16 19:12:58

Get the Disney app and look at what each park has that ur children would be specifically interested in when we went dsd loved frozen the little mermaid and water parks so we made these a priority and just relaxed and took our time enjoying the rest of the holiday.

Floowho Sun 24-Jan-16 20:47:00

Make sure you have rest time each day. We found going to a park early, coming back for lunch and going again in the evening worked, as well as avoiding the midday heat. Epcot was my favourite park, and I have two boys and they loved Star Tours at Hollywood Studios. The apps are really good for seeing wait times for rides. Do the Toy Story ride at Hollywood Studios, but try to get a fast pass as huge queues. The Disney Water parks are great too.

Bunbaker Sun 24-Jan-16 21:55:09

Sorry for hijacking this, but is there free Wi-Fi in most places? I don't want to ramp up huge data charges by using apps on my phone to check queue times.

ImCatbug Sun 24-Jan-16 21:57:54

Bunbaker yes there is free wifi in all the Disney parks, and in Universal studios too.

Bunbaker Sun 24-Jan-16 22:16:20

Great, thanks.

mareseatoatsanddoeseatoats Sun 24-Jan-16 22:20:50

Def get the apps. We also got free games of crazy golf included with our tickets (there are two courses) which made a nice change from parks. Kids also liked an afternoon in Disneyquest too but I know that is closing at some point.

You will never do it all so do your research and work out what your must sees are and plan your days out roughly. Make sure you use the fast passes as I am guessing August is very busy.

mareseatoatsanddoeseatoats Sun 24-Jan-16 22:22:24

Also queues for princesses are very long, but if you aim for the big ones like Anna and Elsa late in the day when the fireworks are on the queues will be much less. We walked right into see them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now