travelling to Japan with a 1yr old?

(17 Posts)
JeanGenie23 Sun 24-Jan-16 17:22:17

It's always been a dream of mine and DP to go to Japan, and we have been looking at this October.

But we have a one year old, and so with that comes a few questions.

Firstly the flight; she is very calm and placid but she has never travelled this length before, what time is best to travel do you think? And should we buy her a seat or put her on our lap?

When we get there we are staying at our friends house so that is all sorted. He lives in Tokyo.

What should we take with us for getting around in? She walks already and is fairly heavy in the sling, would a light weight pushchair be suitable? Or should we invest in a better sling? We just have a baby bjorn.

We don't have a itinerary of planned activities yet but do want to see the studio ghibli museum, any other child-friendly recommendations?

Anything else do you think it's worth knowing? Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

AllChangeLife Sun 24-Jan-16 17:29:25

Hi,

I went to japan with my just turned two year old last year.

If you can afford to buy her a seat, do it - it gives her space to wriggle around in etc. Much better. We had a late afternoon flight and my boy slept most of the way.

In terms of getting around, I wish we had taken a fabric sling - (not a baby bjorn) as that would have been more help in some places where prams are a pain in the neck. However, if you have space, i'd take both - you might find sightseeing better with a sling, but if you go out out in the evening, then it may be better to have the pram. You just need to be able to lift it between 2 of you - there aren't many available lifts everywhere in Tokyo.

I'll have a think about child friendly things - first thoughts are the aquarium...

PM if you have any questions!!

Whatdoidohelp Sun 24-Jan-16 17:29:36

A lightweight pushchair definitely. Even for just getting around the airport terminals! You can take a pushchair right upto the gate and it's free so definitely think about it. I don't know what the weather will be like but if it's warm it will be horrible carrying a heavy baby and she won't like being cooped up.

If you can afford it instead of buying two or three economy seats could you stretch to two premium or business seats? It's an incredibly long flight. In business when the seat is upright she would have a decent amount of floor space to play in without getting in the way of other people.

AllChangeLife Sun 24-Jan-16 17:31:27

www.suitcasesandstrollers.com/interviews/view/japan-with-kids-tokyo-insider

TPel Sun 24-Jan-16 17:37:22

Can help with baby issues - mine is 24!
But enjoy Tokyo. It is one of my favourite places.

JeanGenie23 Sun 24-Jan-16 17:55:01

Thank so much for quick replies!

This will be a huge, almost once in a lifetime, trip for us so I would rather save harder and have a better flight, we will definitely look at buying premium economy.

Ok good tip re sling and buggy. Yes perhaps we will take both.

JeanGenie23 Sun 24-Jan-16 17:57:40

Wow perfect blog, thank you! I am getting very excited for this holiday gringringrin

lostinloz Sun 24-Jan-16 18:07:46

I took my 11 month old to Japan last year. It was great although she did suffer a bit from jet lag - didn't sleep until late at night so we didnt really get any 'time off'.

We took our pushchair which was fine for the day. Lifts in all public transport.

One issue was that we could only get a travel cot in Tokyo (stayed in Airbnb) so had to share with her for the rest of the trip - was fine but didn't help with the no sleep issue.

We found it pretty child friendly but evenings were tough as restaurants are very small (and often smoking) so best to take the sling. Best places were traditional Japanese restaurants with your own room and low table - dd loved having her own little seat.

Aquarium in Osaka was fun and Yara deer park was great. She enjoyed looking around at all the lights in Tokyo and wandering Kyoto was fun for her too.

It's not the easiest trip with a child, I'll admit it, but definitely a fun adventure - go for it!

Thesunrising Sun 24-Jan-16 18:08:54

I went with a nearly two year old. With a bit of planning it's an easy country to navigate. Definitely take a sling and a light weight pushchair. The train stations and tube stations often don't have lifts. Take plenty of familiar baby food particularly if you have a picky eater. The baby food out there is very very different and western stuff is hard to come by and horrendously expensive in western food shops. The jet lag may be a factor for the first few days and you might find yourself in need of some very early morning distractions. Familiarise yourself with local temples which are always great to wander around even at 5 in the morning! We found it was best to only plan on doing one main visit, trip or attraction each day - too exhausting otherwise! You'll have an amazing time!

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 24-Jan-16 18:11:54

When you say 1? Closer to 1 or closer to 2?

lostinloz Sun 24-Jan-16 18:19:41

Interesting to see others say lifts aren't so common. I remember for restaurants there were a pain but i seem to remember transport being ok. Much better than New York in any case (where we often travel to and the subway is a nightmare!).

JeanGenie23 Sun 24-Jan-16 18:22:06

She was one this weekend so will be 21months ish

Definitely not a picky eater although would pack bits and bobs and take nappies. We will be there for 8days

lostinloz Sun 24-Jan-16 19:02:34

Nappies are easy to pick up. We didn't take any food! DD loved rice sandwiches, sushi, tempura...
But might be an idea to take a few things. DD couldn't walk when we went - I do think it will probably be even easier with a walker.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 24-Jan-16 19:04:52

Just to say - if you're planning on going to the Ghibli museum make sure you buy your tickets online way before you go. You can't get them on the door. (assuming it hadn't changed recently)

JeanGenie23 Sun 24-Jan-16 19:24:01

Hey jareth I know, you have to buy them whilst you are in the uk, or basically anywhere else than Japan!

JeanGenie23 Sun 24-Jan-16 19:50:20

Bearing in mind we have accommodation sorted, how much spending money do you think we will need? We will eat out Lots, possibly have one day trip to Osaka, aquarium, deer park, temples/castles...?

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 24-Jan-16 21:21:27

Figured you probably would, but it's always worth saying. It's an incredible place

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now