Feeding baby during take off & landing

(14 Posts)
Trickytricky Sat 16-Jan-16 18:05:23

Hi all, we are flying to South America soon with our 3 month old DD. She is EBF but I'm thinking I may take a pre made bottle of formula in case I can't breastfeed during take off / landing - to help with any ear pain due to pressure). I've heard that some airlines make the baby face forward during take off / landing (making breastfeeding a bit tricky!). I had planned to breastfeed to help with pressure but if that's not an option I was planning on getting the small packs of pre made Aptamil but annoyingly those are 200ml and presumably not ok for security? Could I pour 150ml (the airport limit) into a sterilised bootle? What do people suggest?! Thanks.

museumum Sat 16-Jan-16 18:08:11

Boots on the other side of security sells the little bottles of aptamil.

futureme Sat 16-Jan-16 18:11:10

Baby may need to be strapped either to you (but the wrong way) or in the basinette. We'd planned to bf but hadn't realised this!!

DangerMouth Sat 16-Jan-16 18:13:00

Trust me, the airline staff will be strapped into their own seats at take off and landing, not watching to see if you are bf smile

They may say face baby forward ( we travelled a lot when dd1 was little and never had this as l would feed then too) but if it happens once they've moved on get baby into position for feed.

DangerMouth Sat 16-Jan-16 18:14:03

The baby will NOT be in bassinet for take off or landing or any turbulence.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 16-Jan-16 18:15:18

Babies don't suffer from ear pain due on flights.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sat 16-Jan-16 18:19:39

If you do want to feel on take off or landing, there will be enough "give" in the double belt they give you to lay baby back and feed her. I flew with dd from Singapore to London when she was 3 months, the turbulence was terrible so we could use the bassinet for about 5 minutes and were strapped in with her on my lap for the rest of the flight.

futureme Sat 16-Jan-16 18:19:53

Yup I got that completely muddled. I asked my husband (I still think I had baby brain). We used the basinet but had to take her out every single time the seatbelt sign went on.

He's pretty sure I managed to feed her strapped on - I've floppy boobs and could feed in any position!

Trickytricky Sat 16-Jan-16 18:21:09

Thanks all! Buying at Boots after security might be the easiest option!

Just found this: www.heathrow.com/shops-and-restaurants/reserve-shopping/baby-milk#
But unfortunately we leave tmrw so just have to hope they have what we need I think.

MoreGilmoreGirls Sat 16-Jan-16 18:23:50

You can take 200 ml bottles of formula on the plane. You just infirm security it is baby milk and they scan it separately. We had no probs.

Cuppaand2biscuits Sat 16-Jan-16 18:24:20

I flew with my 12 week baby in a stretchy sling. The airline said I needed to put him in the extended seat belt instead but I refused saying he was my baby and my responsibility. They asked me to demonstrate what I'd do in a brace situation and I showed them. He slept the whole time so I didn't need to feed him

UniversalTruth Sat 16-Jan-16 18:29:50

Will DD take a dummy? Achieves same result - you want them to suck to clear their ears.

snowman1 Sat 16-Jan-16 18:33:41

Hi, if you are going to South America, some airlines in the US/Canada don't do the double seat belts at all for take off and landing (I know, I was really surprised) and you are expected to hold them in cradle hold, which was great for BF. I would check with the airline - you may find it even differs if it is a codeshare.

Booboostwo Sat 16-Jan-16 19:38:35

I've bfed a lot on planes with the baby in my lap on the double seatbelt and it's never been a problem. Only once was I told the baby had to be upright for take off and I replied 'of course' then ignored them - no one can see what you are doing once they are in their seats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now