First longhaul flight - advice/top tips?

(42 Posts)
doitanyways Sun 03-Jan-16 19:35:12

Hello! Flying to Sydney in the spring and this is the first time I've flown further than Greece (well, I did go to Disneyland in Florida with my parents but it was over two decades ago and I don't really remember!)

So - silly questions, is there somewhere to charge phone/iPad on most longhaul flights? How about food - I know a meal is provided but I don't seem to have had a veggie option, so would you stock up on snacks from the airport after security?

I'm hopeless at sleeping when travelling - has anybody ever managed this?

Thank you in advance smile

dementedpixie Sun 03-Jan-16 21:43:36

We take battery packs on long flights and they can charge phones /ipads/tablets,etc. Snacks are fine to take but drinks would have to be purchased after security

dun1urkin Sun 03-Jan-16 21:51:26

Who are you flying with? I've been on a few long haul flights with plug sockets at the seat so you don't have to worry about charging your stuff. There'll be unlimited water on the plane so no need to buy loads (after security) to take on. Yy to snacks. If only to help with the boredom grin You may find yourself making some unusual film choices. A plane journey is responsible for me having seen Frozen.
I always take a small pillow and a pashmina, but you will be provided with a pillow and blanket, so not essential.
PS I'm sure there will be vegi food as well

dun1urkin Sun 03-Jan-16 21:53:20

Sorry, I can't advise on sleeping. Not managed that myself yet. I'm still hoping that someone will come along with the magic answer that doesn't involve upgrades

nmg85 Mon 04-Jan-16 09:14:39

You should ring up the airline (or look online) or if booked through an agent then ring them to book a veggie option as usually they need to be requested.

jollyjester Mon 04-Jan-16 09:33:42

Definitely contact your booking agent to reserve a veggie meal.

Depending on how you are breaking your flight up and what time of day you are travelling you will probably be fed at least twice on each flight. Usually a main meal and then a snack type meal. I would however buy a large bottle of water once through security as flights can really dehydrate you.

Try to walk around as much as you can, even that I am fairly fit my ankles always swell up if I sit for too long (Couldn't fit my shoes on once going into Dubai airport for a flight change!)

If you have a stopover in an airport bring a toothbrush, toothpaste & facecloth and wash your face/ hands / underarms etc and it all help you stop feeling so yuck! (maybe that's just me!) A good hand cream and moisturiser and baby wipes for in flight also helps.

Charging devices shouldn't be a problem it just depends on your airline and what plane you are flying in but you should be able to google this when you have your flight information.

As a final note just prepare yourself for arriving in Sydney airport, sometimes security and customs takes no time at all and sometimes it can take a few hours depending on how busy they are! Remember no food can be brought through customs, check any medications are allowed in and always make sure you fill out your landing cards correctly (these are given out on the plane) as this will speed everything up.

Have a great trip!

Whatdoidohelp Mon 04-Jan-16 18:37:32

If your going economy book your seat. Look at seatguru.com to find the best seats on your specific flight. If in economy plus or above I would still book seat as your seat position really can make or break a flight.

doitanyways Mon 04-Jan-16 18:41:59

Thank you! I don't think I have had an option to book my seat.

Am flying with Ethihad Airways - anyone ever flown with them? We stop over at Abu Dhabi International for two and a half hours.

Then the flight from Abu Dhabi to Sydney is 14 hours - ouch!

Madbengalmum Mon 04-Jan-16 18:49:37

With Etihad you absolutely can book your seat free of charge. If you cant do online then give them a. Ring. Or get your ta to do it.
They are very good, new planes. Excellent entertainment system too.
There is definately a veggie option on their food, but it will probably be a middle eastern spiced mild curry.
Abu dhabi is a very modern clean airport, with some top class high end shopd, there are food outlets on the top floor, but it does get very busy.
You have picked one of the best carriers to Australia in my opinion.

Madbengalmum Mon 04-Jan-16 18:50:31

To add you can pay a. Small amount to get an extra legroom seat also.

doitanyways Mon 04-Jan-16 18:53:52

My ta? I booked using Opodo smile

I am five foot two with VERY short legs and absolutely don't need extra legroom - I actually have the opposite problem and frequently need something to rest my legs on!

SwedeDreams Mon 04-Jan-16 18:54:00

EvIan facial mist spray for when you feel like you are dehydrating- buy after security. Water, they give unlimited on the plane it's true but in tiny annoying cups.

Shoes you can slip on and off easily.Elastic waistband. Neck pillow. No child preferably. grin

doitanyways Mon 04-Jan-16 18:56:22

No, no child grin it's hopefully a 'let's do this while still can before children!' grin

So I was thinking my flight must haves are:

Drink
Salt n vinegar Pringles
Galaxy chocolate
iPad downloaded with books and films
Facial mist spray
Facial wipes
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Clean pants grin

Madbengalmum Mon 04-Jan-16 19:05:36

Facial mist provided in toilets on board.
Toothbrush and paste provided in your pack on seat.
Drinks throughout the flight,tons of water and juices, wines and spirits,they dont carry brandy though! All included.
Theres about 50 films on the entertainment, loads of stuff on the cinema at the moment, and classics and tv, live news, comedy everything really.

Madbengalmum Mon 04-Jan-16 19:06:44

Water is provided in bottles or plastic cups, which are normal sized not tiny ones

PatriciaHolm Mon 04-Jan-16 22:02:40

There are showers in Abu Dhabi if you want a proper freshen up, which I've used before and are OK (not great but OK). Eithad are good, and definitely do veggie food.

Whatdoidohelp Tue 05-Jan-16 11:30:12

You should have an option of "manage my booking" or something on the with etihad website with your booking reference.

Etihad are brilliant. To be honest I've only flow business class with them but I had a wander round economy and it looked clean and comfy. Staff are excellent as well.

specialsubject Tue 05-Jan-16 18:02:35

never done it in one go, always stopped over for a day or two - be aware that you will NOT want to get on the second plane. Be prepared to feel like crap on arrival and for a day or two afterwards. Do not even THINK of car hire. Don't expect to sleep in a cramped upright seat. You'll sleep the best ever on your first night in Oz!

get up and walk around every so often.

take a big empty water bottle through security, refill from tap to supplement what you get on the plane. Not sure if you can do that in Abu Dhabi, there may be a drinking fountain.

keep the following handy; lip salve, moisturiser (nb small plastic bag regs), the water, pen for landing cards. Wear something with pockets and keep passport, wallet and valuables in them on take-off/landing and when leaving your seat. Don't spray around anything smelly.

I haven't flown since ipads came in (I still don't own one). The in-flight stuff was always plenty of entertainment, with a book for the first and last 30 mins.

ArfurFacksake Tue 05-Jan-16 18:15:17

I've just flown to and from Australia on Etihad, arrived back on Sunday.

Look on seat guru for the best seats if you want to pre book.
If you have the flight numbers you should be able to see the plane type.
Ours were;
Heathrow - Abu Dhabi A340
Abu Dhabi - Brisbane Dreamliner 787
Sydney - Abu Dhabi 777
Abu Dhabi - Heathrow A380

All of them had usb/power points on the entertainment station.
All the planes were fab apart from the 777, smaller seats, smaller pitch, tight gangways.

We chose the absolute shortest connection times, just 90 minutes on the first connection.
Plenty of time to disembark, leg stretch, duty free, security and reboard!

Food and drink were PLENTIFUL, we didn't take or need snacks.
Staff happy to get additional things for you too.

Let me know if you need any further help smile

snowypenguin Tue 05-Jan-16 19:31:57

Don't forget to bin your snacks or leave them on the plane when you get to Sydney or you will have to declare them on your landing card. Have you sorted your visa?

doitanyways Wed 06-Jan-16 15:31:27

Worried now snowy - do I really need a visa? shock

JapanNextYear Wed 06-Jan-16 15:41:24

Take flight socks and put them on as soon as you get on the plane, and one of those neck cushions. Makes a huge difference on a long flight.

Take a bottle of water (large bottle) as you can't always get out to get a drink from the galley and it's v dehydrating.

Try and stay off the booze, the best I've ever felt after a long haul flight was on a dry plane where we couldn't get a drink.

Walk around as much as you can.

If you've got some spare dosh get some noise cancelling headphones - there's in ear ones you can get - my DH has them on flights and that makes a bit difference to him listening to music etc.

PatriciaHolm Wed 06-Jan-16 15:42:10

Yes, you need a visa, though it's easy to apply for (assuming you are a UK citizen) -

www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/651-

doitanyways Wed 06-Jan-16 15:44:46

Thank you and thank you re the visa - I wouldn't have had a clue!

Chelsea26 Wed 06-Jan-16 15:56:13

Get a jet sleeper pillow! Only time I have ever slept on a flight was with one. It hooks onto your seat and goes across you so you can lean on it - I fully recommend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now