Sydney-London - have you flown via LA, rather than SE Asia?

(13 Posts)
lborgia Sat 02-Jan-16 20:44:59

Thought i had the right ticket on hold (sydney-London via se asia), but suddenly had a thought that i could go the other way. .traveling alone so the extra 4 hours doesn't feel like an issue.

Any experiences? Thanks.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 02-Jan-16 21:40:58

Have done that journey and I would rather fly back to the UK via somewhere like Singapore or some such places rather than the US.

lborgia Sun 03-Jan-16 01:43:09

Thank Attila - because of jetlag or taking longer, or the hell that is US airports? !

It's the only way to go if i want to go nz airlines and apparently their premium economy is wonderful. ..

TheDowagerCuntess Sun 03-Jan-16 03:09:36

There's very little to do in LAX, and depending on how pernickety boarder control are being at that point in time, you might have to go through immigration (and even collect and re-check your luggage 🙄). Though that's usually only in the aftermath of a terrorist attack.

It's fine though, just take a book!

lborgia Sun 03-Jan-16 03:39:53

I've spent too many hours at lax in the past, I know it's pretty boring. Ime,the fact that I'm travelling alone makes it quiet time, not boring grin. Fabulous names you both have btw.

TheDowagerCuntess Sun 03-Jan-16 03:49:16

I know, pre-DC I used to dread long haul flights - now the idea of sitting still in one place, watching/reading whatever I like, being waited on hand and foot, G&T on tap, sounds like bloody paradise!! grin

Smidge001 Sun 03-Jan-16 03:53:24

If you can get a better price and know you prefer their premium economy tickets, then I'd absolutely go for it.

As you say, if you're travelling alone and enjoy it (as do I - I love the escapism of flights back from sydney to the UK so try to travel at least one way on a separate flight from my husband grin) then there's no question really.

BrieMonster Sun 03-Jan-16 04:06:10

Just remember to get an ESTA if you haven't already. (And have no visa.)

lborgia Sun 03-Jan-16 05:37:38

ESTA? Is that a US visa haven't been for 15 years thanks for the info.

Only thing i haven't checked is the entertainment guide for nz..better do that first grin

Cheers for that!

stealthbanana Sun 03-Jan-16 05:48:24

I've done it (by accident - didn't check the ticket I was booking properly grin).

It was nice and if you can go PE rather than economy then so much the better. Drawbacks of that way round are:

- you do need to clear immigration - the way they seem to do this on the nz flights is that you go to a special queue for your flight then into a holding area once processed. So it's not like you get to walk around lax - you get off the plane, stand in a queue with everyone else from your flight and then sit in a grotty gate area before re boarding
- is the routing lhr-lax-akl-syd? If it is, remember the last leg is still 4hrs. I found it almost unbearable having just done the 2 long legs

On balance I would much prefer to go via se Asia if I were flying straight through. If you are stopping off in LA, though, I think it's an excellent idea - flying west is much better from a jetlag perspective too.

BrieMonster Sun 03-Jan-16 09:10:55

It's an electronic visa waiver like the old green form. Costs $14 or thereabouts (don't pay more, use the esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ site). Only bother with essential details but get them right!!! Seen so many ESTAs go wrong in my time.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 03-Jan-16 09:30:44

You will indeed need an ESTA and perhaps clear US customs as well. It can take up lots of time.

Going via the Far East will save you having to do all that. Your current routing of Sydney to London via Asia sounds fine as it is.

SparklesandBangs Sun 03-Jan-16 09:50:01

I've done the flight both ways, for NZ and it would have to be a very good deal for me to go to Aus via the U.S.
Flying through Asia (my experience is HK or Singapore) is great a long flight then a short time to walk around a nice calm airport pick up some food and a decent coffee before the second flight usually direct to your final destination in Aus, there are plenty of places to sit and chill or if you have a long connection you can leave the airport.
Via LAX you are taken off the plane and processed then put in a room with not enough seats and very limited drinks available before being shepherded back to the plane.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now