Rio Carnival with children

(2 Posts)
frostymomma Sat 26-Sep-15 12:18:43

We're planning a once in a lifetime trip to Brazil in 2017 to celebrate a big birthday, but want to take dd (will be 9) and ds (will be 6). Has anyone ever been to Rio carnival with children? I've heard it can be difficult with children, but would love any tips of where to stay, what to do, things to think about. Thanks in advance.

tomatodizzy Wed 14-Oct-15 17:40:51

I haven't been to Rio for a while, I used to live there. I live in Brazil still but in a rural area now. It's a great city and there's lots to do. Especially around carnival time. The carnival is actually inside an arena, so you need to get tickets. The beaches and sugar loaf are great for kids. I would stay in Ipanema, plenty of good hotels and one of the safer parts of the city. Like all big cities you have to watch your personal belongings and be aware of your surroundings. In three years there I had no trouble at all. Have a look on the internet for things to do in Rio. My friend lives in Copacabana, her children are 12 and 9 and they are always at child friendly days out and exhibitions. Use taxis for transport around the city, safe abs reliable. I used to drive or use the buses but wouldn't advise that for tourists.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now