Anyone got a Disney World/Florida holiday planned? Part 3

(1000 Posts)
McKayz Sun 31-May-15 12:06:25

I thought I'd start a new thread as number 2 is nearly full.

Links to old threads:

thread 1

thread 2

We haven't got ours booked yet. But we are planning on going August 2016. DH and I both turn 30 in the next 11 months so it's like a big birthday holiday.

LeBoob Sun 31-May-15 13:13:48

Oh I was waiting for a new thread so I could join in! I'm planning on booking October 2016 at Caribbean beach resort with the dining plan? Anyone have any advice for the hotel? There will be 2 adults,1 dd + 10ish month old! Can't wait!! Also anyone flown Thompson Dreamliner or is Virgin the better bet?

LucasNorthsTwiglets Sun 31-May-15 13:43:15

Oh no at the ill DCs, Dog! There's still time for it to be over with though - I think I'd be letting them breathe on me to get it over and done with ASAP grin

Strawberry I'm impressed (and envy) at you getting BOG lunch! Are you staying onsite so you got the extra 10 days to book? I've got 3 of us in on single bookings so far, 5 mins apart, but I'm fairly confident at being able to get us all in the day before - so far there has been availability every day if you look the day before.

LeBoob, I've never stayed at a Disney hotel but the free dining plan always sounds great! I've not been on the Dreamliner (I'm a wuss about its safety record!) but everyone says it's fab and there's so much more space on it.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Sun 31-May-15 13:46:53

I've booked up for the Wilderness Lodge in October. Never stayed there so not sure what to expect pros and cons wise.

Also I have never been in Oct so unsure about weather etc.

Can anyone shed any light?

LucasNorthsTwiglets Sun 31-May-15 14:02:15

I haven't been in October before but I am going this Oct! It's supposed to be lovely - still really warm but not stifling and the humidity is easily bearable. Have you booked for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party? That's supposed to be amazing and is the thing I'm most looking fwd to. There is also the food & drink festival at Epcot.

Toffeelatteplease Sun 31-May-15 14:08:30

Has anyone booked with Disney and used their luggage service?

HelloIAmBaymax Sun 31-May-15 14:17:03

Wilderness Lodge is lovely. There's a boat to the Magic Kingdom which makes a nice change from using a bus.
The pool is really nice and the views are amazing.
The weather in October is usually really good. Very warm and not much rain.
I haven't stayed there for a few years, but would definitely stay there again.

BloodyDogHairs Sun 31-May-15 14:30:37

I'm flying on the dreamliner next monday.

I'm not staying at Wilderness Lodge but I've got a booking for Mickeys Backyard BBQ there, the place looks lovely.

Hulababy Sun 31-May-15 14:36:30

We've booked for next February half term. Our half term is different to lots of parts of the UK so was a fair bit cheaper to go then than the week after.

Fingers crossed for warm weather. Was lovely when we went a couple of years ago that time; was def t shirt and shorts weather smile

It will be our 7th visit I think - eek! DD is 13y now and still loves it all smile

We are staying at Hard Rock Hotel for the week, so will have the early access to Harry Potter and Express passes too - yeah!

Already looking forward to it!

Hulababy Sun 31-May-15 14:37:50

We are flying with Virgin. Infact this time we are doing it as a Virgin holiday, all in though will get park tickets separate. We nearly always use Virgin for long haul.

LucasNorthsTwiglets Sun 31-May-15 15:16:11

We've always done end of Feb in the past and it's lovely - shorts and t-shirts but not too hot at all. Perfect smile 7th visit, wow, how wonderful! We'll have been 5 times by next August but from then on we'll have to pay for it ourselves so goodness know when we'll be able to afford to go back sad I know, first world problems smile It will probably be a case of Disnyeland Paris every few years or Orlando every 6 or 7 years - already stressing about what to do and how to find the cash and we still have 2 WDW trips to go smile

McKayz Sun 31-May-15 15:23:24

Can I ask the people who have been before what your must see attractions are?

The DC will be 9, 7 and 4. The eldest 2 are boys and the youngest is frozen mad! But whether she will be next year I don't know.

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan so we'll be going there.

BloodyDogHairs Sun 31-May-15 16:02:41

Are the eldest 2 into riding the bigger rides?

McKayz Sun 31-May-15 16:05:08

Yes they are. Though the eldest hated The Haunted Mansion at Paris. The middle one loves all rides especially water ones.

Finola1step Sun 31-May-15 16:08:37

Watching with keen interest. We are off in August (I know, mad with the heat) and staying at Wilderness Lodge.

Was hoping to do some big rides (with or without ds!) but that plan has now been scuppered as I have a herniated disc in neck. Will be ok on the gentle stuff though.

So will welcome any key recommendations ds7 and dd4. Already got Cinderella lunch booked. What else?

BloodyDogHairs Sun 31-May-15 16:17:40

For us the must see/do things are

Hollywood studios - Tower of terror, Rock n roll rollercoaster, Meeting Toy story characters.....watching Disney Junior on stage and meeting Sophia and Jake the Pirate. The Lights camera action stunt show and Indian jones are also good.

Epcot - Soaring, Test track, fireworks, character meets (I'm not keen on epcot)

Animal Kingdom - Rapids, Safari, Its a bugs life

Magic Kingdom - EVERYTHING!! especially the parades.

BloodyDogHairs Sun 31-May-15 16:26:43

McKayz if you go into the disney website you can order a book for free that has maps/rides/info, I think its called The little big book of magic. I've highlighted the rides we can ride as a family, ones we need to childswap for, rides for my youngest 2 and rides for my oldest 2 dc's....DH thinks I'm nuts but I call it being organised grin

McKayz Sun 31-May-15 16:32:27

I've ordered that thanks. Still undecided by a villa or Disney hotel. The Disney hotel seems better with the free dining and extra park hours.

ditsygal Sun 31-May-15 16:39:15

Oo I can join in here now!
We've just booked today to go in May 2016 for 2 weeks in the Old Key West hotel, with the free dining. We will be taking my DS who will be 3.5 then and going with my parents who are disney aficionados!
Can't wait already. Will be looking for some tips on here.

SwedeDreams Sun 31-May-15 16:47:07

Booked! We are going next Feb half term and the week before too... Can't wait!

We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside, in a pool view royal room. I think this puts us right next to the footbridge to the lobby.

Free dining of course grin I'll be booking my ADRs mid August from our campsite!

We fly with British airways for the first time- have previously been with virgin and Thomas cook dreamliner- someone asked about this- it was fine but we definitely preferred virgin for entertainment and food!

Already logged onto my Disney experience and customised our magic bands. Now reading trip reviews like mad for tips!

SwedeDreams Sun 31-May-15 16:48:20

Ditsy we stayed at old key west last time we went, ask away if you have questions!

BloodyDogHairs Sun 31-May-15 16:57:02

Is there plenty of car parking spaces at Disney resorts? I'm staying on I-drive but I need to get to Wilderness lodge, am I ok to park in that hotel carpark or is it for on-site guest's only? Would I be best driving to DTD then busing it over?

HelloIAmBaymax Sun 31-May-15 17:00:15

McKayz

Magic Kingdom
At 9 and 7 my children loved Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain the most. They have since been on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and enjoyed that too.
They all loved Barnstormer when they were 4 years old.
They enjoy everything at Magic, and we often use the TTA for a break or when waiting for a fastpass.

Epcot
They enjoy the Kidcot stops in each country, where they colour in a Duffy bear and get it stamped by a cast member.
Test Track is their favourite ride, but they also enjoy Soarin', Journey into Imagination (especially the interactive bits at the end), the Finding Nemo ride and Turtle talk with Crush, Spaceship Earth and Mission:Space.
The thing they love to do in Epcot is visit Club Cool and try different drinks from around the world.

Hollywood Studios
Tower of Terror, Rock'n'RollerCoaster, Star Tours, toy Story Midway Mania.
Fantasmic! is also good.

Animal Kingdom
Expedition Everest
Kali River Rapids
Primeval Whirl

blacktreaclecat Sun 31-May-15 17:00:50

Spent some time on the phone with virgin flying club this afternoon. All very complicated as doing money plus miles but getting there I think, we need to wait until later on in June when the return flights will be released to book. Typical it's the day we go to Majorca!
Next once flights booked will be deciding on accomodation. We have 19 nights and want to do a villa in Orlando plus a week or so at the coast. Not sure where- anyone been to Anna Maria Island?

KinkyDorito Sun 31-May-15 17:20:12

BIG TIP: do NOT FP Rapids at Animal Kingdom if going for lunch until after said lunch. We got absolutely soaked (in red hot August) nearly 2 hours before lunch and just wouldn't dry. Had character meal booked and had to go and buy new t-shirts, then ask cast member if we were okay to go in with wet bums blush. It was freezing in the air conditioning. Live and learn grin.

I wonder if this thread will last long enough to see me to Disney in 2016. I really wish I was going this year.

This thread is not accepting new messages.