USA with smallish DC - not Orlando though?

(10 Posts)
VolumniaDedlock Sat 23-May-15 20:20:12

It's DH's turn to pick the holiday next year and he wants to go to the US. However neither of us fancy Orlando at all. We've got 2 DC, who'll by then by 9 and 5. I wouldn't mind somewhere beachy as long as there's some other bits to do as well. We've been eyeing up Boston and then on to Cape Cod, but wondered if anyone has any other ideas??

kansaswelshgirl Fri 05-Jun-15 15:36:58

Lots of little towns along the coast of Lake Michigan. (Lake Michigan is basically like a sea, but not salt water. You can't see the other side. If you go it's a real beach type holiday) Holiday homes to rent or small hotels. If you go further south of the lake you are pretty close to Chicago, maybe an hour and a half drive. Some of our favorite holdiays with young children have been in New Buffalo and Union Pier, MI

CMOTDibbler Fri 05-Jun-15 15:40:46

San Francisco and Monterey. Good weather, loads of stuff to do, varied.

haggisaggis Fri 05-Jun-15 15:54:40

We took ours to Cape Cod every year from the ages of 2 & 5 until last year (then 11 & 14). Boston is a great city for kids - not too big and there's the aquarium, science centre, children's museum, duck tour etc. If you stay on the Upper Cape (Falmouth / Sandwich) it is a fairly easy day to drive closer to Boston & get the train in. There are loads of beaches - although you need to watch as many need a season parking permit.
The weather on the Cape can be changeable though (which is why we're off to Arizona this year as we want the guarantee of HOT weather) but if you go in the summer you should get enough good beach days.
We love it and will definitely return!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 05-Jun-15 15:57:34

I second San Francisco, Alcatraz and cable cars, with some camping in Yosemite. Then down to the beaches along the Big Sur.

VolumniaDedlock Fri 05-Jun-15 19:50:16

thank you for all the suggestions

dd2 is a bit nuts spirited, and we're not sure whether we're up for the longer flight plus increased jet lag on the west coast, although we do really, really fancy California.

So we're trying to decide whether to do East/Central this year, or wait a couple of years until dd2 is more ready for west coast. Sadly two USA trips in quick succession would bust the budget, otherwise DH would undoubtedly do both!

PowderMum Fri 05-Jun-15 20:03:17

Hawaii?

TempsPerdu Fri 05-Jun-15 20:23:16

Was also going to suggest California, as we had a truly phenomenal holiday there a few years ago. Failing that though (and I can totally see why a 12-hour flight doesn't appeal!) we also had a lovely time touring New England - a few days in Boston followed by ski lodge in New Hampshire (Killington I think), Vermont and on to Cape Cod. Boston is lovely in summer and there's loads to do for kids (duck tours, aquarium, swan boats and fountains in the public gardens etc). It's also quite compact and walkable for a U.S. City. Other highlights were a tour of the Ben and Jerry's factory in Vermont, Provincetown on Cape Cod and piles of yummy pancakes every day for breakfast! Would love to go back at some point.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 06-Jun-15 09:20:31

New Orleans and around there? We did it admittedly pre having dc, but had a very memorable time there, and we also included Dallas and Austin.

howabout Sat 06-Jun-15 09:30:27

I lived in Washington DC for 2 years and would highly recommend it as a place to holiday with DC your age. Downtown is all walking distance and the Metro is easy to get around on. All the museums are free and you get to know about the history of the US and see the White House etc. I used to live near the zoo which I really miss! The older bits of the City are great to explore too. For the beach Virginia Coast is less than 2 hours by car and Rock Creek Park is good for family walking. Also George Washington's Estate makes a good family day out. Lots of affordable family hotels and restaurants downtown as well when I checked last.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now