Weekend break from Miami

(8 Posts)
Stevie77 Wed 20-May-15 10:39:04

Trying here as someone might have an idea...

We're going to visit my dad in Miami in a couple of days and we hope to go away for a night or two. We have DD5 and DS who's 14mo. We're looking at a 3hrs drive distance, or thereabouts because with stops for food, toilet, stretching legs it becomes a longer trip. We thought Daytona, but there are no races on at the moment. I read about Sanibel island on the gulf coast but wasn't sure if there was anything to do there. I think we're going to avoid the parks for another year, until DD is older. Been to the Keys pre DC, not sure there's anything for them there anyway.

I'm just hoping someone might have a trip idea...?

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 20-May-15 12:52:32

I would look at Fort Lauderdale; its a nice city to visit and has nice beaches as well. Its not that far north of Miami either.

tomatodizzymum Wed 20-May-15 13:11:55

Seminol reservation, Kayaking on the Caloosahatchee, Sanibel is very nice don't know what there is for kids though but a great beach, Manatee rescue centre (I think it's in fort Myers), there's a panther one somewhere around there too, Everglades National Park, Clearwater Beach (it's a long drive though). I lived in Florida for four years, there's so much to do! You're so lucky.

budgiegirl Wed 20-May-15 19:03:10

How about a mini cruise to the Bahamas, if the dates fit. No driving, food all included, some lovely beaches, and kids club for DD5 (not sure about DS).

Stevie77 Wed 20-May-15 19:21:21

tomato do you mean the Manatee park in Fort Myers?

We go to the Everglades every time we visit but usually go in via Ernest Coe entrance and visit the various stops around that end. It looked at going to the Gulf Coast entrance but all I could find was that at that end people mainly do independent canoe trips and such like, maybe I misunderstood.

Stevie77 Wed 20-May-15 19:22:12

A mini cruise might be a good idea! I'll look into that, thanks!

tomatodizzymum Wed 20-May-15 19:49:11

Yes probably the Manatee Park. We used to go to a canoe center somewhere along the river with a group of Miami gang teens (I worked in a reform school and a young offenders institution), as far as I remember you could rent the canoes by the hour. Although try to avoid the times the reform school are there as those kids have some colourful language when they get stuck in the middle of the river grin It was near a mangrove area, close to the coast. Sorry not much help as it has been many years. A cruise sounds good too!

Tiredemma Wed 20-May-15 19:51:01

The Keys.

Either one of the middle Keys or Key West (Not key largo)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now