Budget Central New York hotel?

(18 Posts)
Onamissionfor2015 Sun 17-May-15 06:41:58

Is there such a thing hmm

I'm fairly well travelled but the cost of hotels in New York has shocked me (ok usually we do villas so not much to go on)

Seems that the good but not luxury hotels are all about £350 a night!

Can anyone recommend a more budget option? I know we could stay out of Central Manhattan and subway it in but we are child free so want to walk a lot and like the idea of being more Central (preferably not Times Square though)

Anyone have any ideas? Was hoping for some nice Tiffany jewellery but may have to give that up to pay for the hotel wink

SwedishEdith Sun 17-May-15 17:31:36

This one is in great location Plus, a roof top bar

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sun 17-May-15 17:47:08

Does it have to be a hotel? Hostels have some double rooms with private bathroom & are much cheaper.

Eg this one on W 20th in Chelsea, close to the High Line & lots of subway choices, breakfast included too smile

t.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Chelsea-International-Hostel/New-York/801?HostelNumber=801&affiliate=tripadvisor.com&aff2=UK_48_m&DateStart=2015-10-13&NumNights=3&Guests=2&Currency=GBP&dynamicSearchFlag=1

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sun 17-May-15 17:49:12

(I put in random dates in Oct - it's just under £100 a night then)

OccamsLadyshave Sun 17-May-15 17:49:41

I went with DD last year and stayed at the YMCA Vanderbilt.

It was extremely basic but we were hardly there. Stayed 2 night but were probably only there awake for max 30 mins a day.

The staff were friendly and we had a private room. The showers were a bit grim but I have very low standards!

The Wolcott hotel
here but I was there over 10 years ago.

It's shabby but a great central base and coffee and muffins in the beautiful lobby every morning very welcome.

Stinkersmum Sun 17-May-15 17:55:52

Pod39 - East 39th and Lexington. About 10 mins walk from Times square.

Moondreamer Sun 17-May-15 17:56:51

Not quite budget (£170 a night for a double) but I stayed here (http://www.nycsalisbury.com/mobile.aspx?pg=mobile1_home&hid=184&vl=b9e3f11f-a9e6-4a5a-8b9b-2c323addabe4) a few years ago and was really happy with it. Good location and nice big rooms. A bit dated but great value.

Rudawakening Sun 17-May-15 18:00:32

We stayed at the distrikt hotel in January, W 42nd 5 mins walk to time square, subway close. There are 3-4 great diners for cheap breakfasts within 5 mins walk as well.

We booked through low cost usa and paid £820pp for a week including direct flights and an upgraded room.

Hotel is small but modern and clean. Staff are great, we were knackered from all the walking one night and ordered take out to the hotel which the staff were fine about.

SofiaAmes Sun 17-May-15 18:00:44

Look for a rental on Airbnb or Craigslist or a house swap with homeexchange.com
The subway system in New York is cheap and efficient and runs at all hours and people are generally very helpful and friendly if you have children and buggies and suitcases. Which is to say, that a place in brooklyn or lower manhattan will still be fine.

PebbleTTC Sun 17-May-15 18:03:00

Hotel Eddison is a great hotel and in Times Square, found if you rang them direct it was cheaper

southeastdweller Sun 17-May-15 18:03:43

How much can you spend?

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Sun 17-May-15 18:08:27

The Jane in Greenwich Village?

Onamissionfor2015 Sun 17-May-15 18:47:00

Fantastic thank you everyone. Going to have a look through all the suggestions.

It's for a special occasion so want a hotel rather than hostel etc and don't have a set budget but also don't have unlimited funds so the cheaper the hotel the more spending money we will have grin

Ideally around the £800 mark for the four nights but could go up to around £1200 (though a great hotel even cheaper than £800 would be amazing )

I really want to be central though, ideally around the Empire State Building and would rather pay a bit more to be there rather than out the main area we want to explore

Onamissionfor2015 Sun 17-May-15 18:47:33

Fantastic thank you everyone. Going to have a look through all the suggestions.

It's for a special occasion so want a hotel rather than hostel etc and don't have a set budget but also don't have unlimited funds so the cheaper the hotel the more spending money we will have grin

Ideally around the £800 mark for the four nights but could go up to around £1200 (though a great hotel even cheaper than £800 would be amazing )

I really want to be central though, ideally around the Empire State Building and would rather pay a bit more to be there rather than out the main area we want to explore

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sun 17-May-15 19:11:19

We booked through low cost usa and paid £820pp for a week including direct flights and an upgraded room

Blimey, that is good!

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Mon 18-May-15 18:45:26

Hotel Chandler is nice as is the Ramada on 30th & Lex. Good places to eat close by as well.

breward Fri 22-May-15 17:52:35

We have stayed at NYMA and Wolcott. Both excellent and very central. Better breakfast at NYMA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now