9 hour flight with a 2 yr old

(13 Posts)
MissMia84 Sun 10-May-15 13:59:26

What should I take in my sons bag to keep him occupied and my husband and I sane?!

I don't usually encourage ipad use but am prepared to let him have it for the flight - can anybody recommend apps?

Thank you x

themummyonthebus Sun 10-May-15 14:28:28

iPad, sticker books, pens and paper to scribble on, playdoh? Trying to think what kept DS happy at that age but I think it was mostly iPad and sticker books.

He was also fascinated by the in flight entertainment/seatback screen even if he wasn't keen on wearing headphones.

iPad apps that worked well were the Australian PlaySchool app, and jigsaw/matching puzzles. just check they work without an Internet connection before you fly. And maybe capture some cartoons off YouTube/upload his favourite film/video if he has one.

Have fun wink

susiedaisy Sun 10-May-15 14:30:13

Snacks and bottles of milk if he still has them to help with popping ears and general grouchiness. Oh and patience pack lots and lots of patience smile

AuditAngel Sun 10-May-15 14:33:12

My little girl has a pair of Crayola headphones. She's had them about 18 months, she was 3 when she got them.

They are really sturdy and up to hard treatment, plus they are padded and (as long as they are on the correct way round) stay on quite well. I think they were about £20. Definitely worth the investment.

tomatodizzymum Sun 10-May-15 14:45:15

Headphones are great. My 2 year old loves a colour and shape apps, also cbeebies playtime and pepper pig apps. He may fall asleep for a lot of i, mine always do. Also most airlines have a kids goody bag. Crayola pens with the lids that slide along the pen are a must have, rather than scratching around looking for pen lids!

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 10-May-15 14:51:37

All of those items are good. I would also take a spare pair of trousers/t-shirt in case of spills and a thin jumper (it can feel a bit chilly in the cabin sometimes). Also his favourite foodstuffs, take what he likes and enough of it.

Be prepared to walk up and down the plane aisles with him.

(goodie bags for children on airlines are generally of poor quality).

glorious Sun 10-May-15 14:54:49

We're in Malaysia at the moment and flew from the UK three days ago with our 2yo so it's fresh in my mind! Sago mini apps are good. We also bought a couple of new toys which I wrapped up as presents, which went down very well indeed. Story books to read are good and I agree stickers are essential. Also those magazines you get with awful toys on the front - I always let her choose a couple at the airport before our outbound flight so that there's a new one each way.

We have flown quite a lot and my main advice is that it will be hard work but fine smile

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234 Sun 10-May-15 15:11:25

No round toys that will roll away if you drop them on the floor

I've 4 DC and had to fly a lot with them as children and I found that it was best not to let them out of their seat unless it was to go to the bathroom. If you let them out then they just want to be out all the time.

I used to pack a full set of lightweight non bulky spare clothes, plus wipes in large ziploc bags then if they vomited, spilt something or had an accident we could use the clean clothes and pop the dirty ones back in the same bag.

I also found that taking loads of new and exciting toys didn't work as well as taking a few toys I knew they liked. Books, puzzles and drawing stuff worked well. Fuzzy felt is good for supervised two year olds.

I also used to take phenergen (?) if things got too bad but I don't think it's recommended anymore. Fortunately it was considered ok to use when my kids were small. blush

MissMia84 Mon 11-May-15 07:57:31

Thanks all, some great ideas here. Keep 'em coming!

Off to Toys R Us this morning for sticker books, new Play Doh etc smile

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 11-May-15 09:12:47

I would not buy play doh for use on the plane; that stuff can be dropped very easily into carpets. Also it has a bit of a smell.

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234 Mon 11-May-15 09:14:56

More Fuzzy Felt less play Doh wink grin

Bugmomma Wed 10-Jun-15 13:05:05

Just wondering how you guys got your two year olds to adjust to the time difference, I know it's not totally relevant to the long haul flight idea but .. I'm pretty much petrified of the 'other side' blush is it just a few cranky days or how can I help my little guy out with the time difference?

TrashcanMan Wed 10-Jun-15 13:15:20

Hi Bugmomma, we recently moved back to the UK from Australia, with a two and a half year old and nine month old. Sleep was a bit all over the place for a few days, but they adjusted within a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now