What to do in New York- sight seeing and Broadway shows

(19 Posts)
PurpleAlert Sat 18-Apr-15 19:46:37

We are off to New York for 5 days in June. What sight seeing in New York would you recommend?

Also want to see a show. Have seen Matilda, The Lion King, Book of Mormon, Mama Mia, Jersey Boys, Wicked, Billy Elliot in the West end so don't want to see those.

We are tempted by An act of God with Jim Parsons but there are no reviews yet as it doesn't open till May. Also possibly Chicago as that's currently on in the west end.

Anyone seen anything on Broadway recently? Any recommendations?

TIA

LIZS Sat 18-Apr-15 19:49:04

Isn't Aladdin the hot ticket?

PurpleAlert Sat 18-Apr-15 19:54:56

Not sure about that one- My DDs are 17 and 19 so was looking for something a bit more grown up.

balletgirlmum Sat 18-Apr-15 19:59:16

Wicked is meant to be spectacular on Broadway.

I'd definatly go for a Broadway originated show rather than a West End transfer. Mormon would tempt me though I've seen it recently in London.

Kinky Boots?
Beautiful
I'd also consider Aladdin

PurpleAlert Sat 18-Apr-15 20:01:05

Is Wicked better on Broadway than in London then? DD1 has seen it but not the rest of us

ajandjjmum Sat 18-Apr-15 20:07:18

Very first morning (when you'll be awake bright and early!) go to 'Top of the Rock' - gives you a really good idea of the layout of NY, so you can get your bearings as it were!

We saw 'Wicked' there - rainy day, and DH just popped to the theatre - no queue - and was lucky enough to get four tickets. It was brilliant - but haven't seen it in London.

It will be brill!!

Penfold007 Sat 18-Apr-15 20:09:02

Anything with Jim Parsons has my vote. Pre-book 9/11 memorial, Empire State, Statue of Liberty etc. We bought tickets for one of the hop on - hop off bus tours and made full use of the tickets, great fun and saved a lot of walking. Just bought the tickets whilst we were there. If you want to do some relatively cheap shopping and time permits take the bus to Woodbury Common from Port Authority.

SorrelForbes Sat 18-Apr-15 20:13:45

I wouldn't bother with Wicked, it's pretty much identical to the WE version. Kinky Boots is opening on the WE soon so I wouldn't bother with that either.

On The Town has had good reviews and isn't done on a large scale very often so I'd take the opportunity to see it (especially in the city where it's set!). A fabulous show.

I would have said 'Pippin' but it closed recently.

balletgirlmum Sat 18-Apr-15 20:30:28

I don't think that transfers are ever quite the same as when a show has been designed around a particular theatre.

Jermajesty Sat 18-Apr-15 20:35:17

Tenement Museum in the Lower East Side. Really interesting place and you can also mooch around the LES. We found great bars & restaurants by just wandering around after visiting the museum.

MissMarpling Sat 18-Apr-15 20:37:09

Get the Staten Island ferry. Free and goes past Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty. Also get the subway to Brooklyn and then walk back on the bridge-great views. Grand Central Station well worth a visit.

2fedup Wed 22-Apr-15 06:49:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SpottyTeacakes Wed 22-Apr-15 06:54:09

We saw Aladdin and it was great! Would def see act of God if I was there.

We loved seeing the rockettes, I thought dh wouldn't like it but he did.

We went to an expensive dinner and burlesque night which felt really exclusive and had such a good time.

Get a seven day subway ticket it's only $30 for the week and the subway is easy to use.

Don't say toilet say restroom grin

Walk the Brooklyn bridge in the evening towards Manhattan and you'll see the skyline.

Jane's carousel was closed when we went but I would have liked to go.

Ellen's stardust diner is meant to be good.

PurpleAlert Wed 22-Apr-15 20:22:57

Thanks- lots of good tips on here.

We have narrowed it down to Act of God and Chicago. Probably will go for the Jim Parsons- we are big fans of Big Bang Theory (but the tickets are eyewateringly expensive!)

I thought the West End was expensive but Broadway is something else!

Any tips for good ticket sites to go through?

SpottyTeacakes Wed 22-Apr-15 20:25:47

I used ticketmaster smile

2fedup Wed 22-Apr-15 22:17:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SpottyTeacakes Thu 23-Apr-15 06:16:33

The tkts booths can get pretty crowded. I wouldn't expect an act of God to be available as it will only just have opened. I could be wrong though.

Zorion Mon 27-Apr-15 10:39:44

We are going in July!

I have just seen that Sleep No More has been extended and am ridiculously excited but I know that DH would just hate it and its 80 dollars a ticket!! Has anybody seen it?

purple please come back and tell me all your tips once you've been!

I'm especially after a good rooftop bar... !

PurpleAlert Thu 02-Jul-15 00:15:49

Well-We're back! What a Fab trip!

We stayed at the W Union square- great location - near the Empire state building and lovely market on the square- great atmosphere. Just don't bother with the breakfasts or anything from the bar or mini bar as it's stupidly expensive. You can get two bottles of wine from the off license 10m away for the same price as one glass of wine in their bar! Loads of places for breakfast near by at a quarter of the price.

-"An act of God" with Jim Parsons from the Big Bang theory was really funny.
-Top of the Rock really great views of Central Park and The Empire State building.
-Empire state- get the fast pass- it's well worth it but make sure you tell them you have them at every turn or you might end up joining all the queues! Very busy though during the day- too many people when we were up there.

-9/11 memorial and museum tasteful and respectful and the World one trade centre observatory has just opened- we didn't go but it looks amazing.

-The very very best thing was the helicopter flight over Manhatten and the Statue of Liberty- expensive but just fabulous.

-Boat to statue of Liberty- book in advance before you go but Ellis island is a snooze fest as not much there.

-Time Square- great at night but not so great during the day- there were loads of Barriers and road works when we were there so wildly crowded.

-Bloomingdales- wildly expensive!

-Central Park- worth a visit- some interesting wildlfe there and the Boat house is nice for a snack or bigger meals. My girls also enjoyed the remote control sail boats on one of the lakes.

-Best restuarant- "Ruth's Chris"-steak restaurant. Fairly near Time Square- very very pricey but great service and fab food.

-worst-Don't bother with the Thai-"Spice Market" in the Meat Packing district- the food was not great and the service diabolical and very expensive to boot.

-Yellow taxis are ok for the airport but seat belts don't always work and some of them drive like maniacs! We used them on the way back but it was a bit of a scary ride! Dial 7 on the way there which is the same price but a bit more comfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now