Food on LHR - Singapore Flight (singapore airlines)

(18 Posts)
Olga79 Mon 16-Jun-14 10:59:51

We're getting a flight to Singapore in a few weeks leaving LHR around 1:30pm. Anyone any experience of when meals will be served? Trying to work out if we need to eat at the airport beforehand.

Or is there anywhere I can find that sort of stuff out?

KarlWrenbury Mon 16-Jun-14 11:01:36

er.. phone them?

SongsAboutB Mon 16-Jun-14 11:07:09

IME they usually start preparing the meal as soon as the plane has reached cruising height, so it would be served between 40 and 90 minutes into the flight. We usually used to fly in the evening though so it might be different on an early afternoon flight. My DC get very cranky indeed if they are hungry so if it was me I would check in at about 11 am (I'm pathologically early) then browse the shops a little and have something light at about 12pm to keep everyone going in case it's a later meal.

CaurnieBred Mon 16-Jun-14 11:07:41

You won't get fed for an hour or two into the flight at least - you will get a drink and a pack of pretzels first. I would have something at the airport.

LivinLaVidaLocal Mon 16-Jun-14 11:08:03

OP, flight crews usually start preparing the first meal of a long haul flight as soon as they've reached cruising altitude. So I would probably have breakfast at the airport and then you'll have lunch just after take off, then breakfast or whatever is appropriate for the time difference just before you land. smile

CMOTDibbler Mon 16-Jun-14 11:08:16

There will be lunch an hour after take off, then dinner/afternoon tea 6 hours after that, then breakfast/snack before landing.

However, I'd eat before boarding - Wagamamas or Giraffe are my favoured T5 eateries

LivinLaVidaLocal Mon 16-Jun-14 11:08:27

X post with Songs

Heels99 Mon 16-Jun-14 11:10:29

I would eat at airport beforehand. It can take a long time to serve hundreds of people a meal, turbulence can affect crews ability to even serve the meals and plane food is generally not that great, although Singapore airlines are bettere than average. You don't need to have a massive meal at the airport, something like pret a manger would keep you going. It could be a long time from breakfast till lunch otherwise. I was on a recent flight where they had 70 'special' meals to serve I.e kids meals, vegetarian etc and by the time the other 200 + passengers were served it was more than 2 hours into the flight, there was also turbulence after take off so meal service didn't start till later. I was glad we had eaten before also no drinks were served till after the meal everyone was very thirsty by then. Have to add I don't eat plane food so I always eat beforehand.

bayrans Mon 16-Jun-14 11:16:52

I flew LHR-Singapore-Auckland a while back, I've never been fed so much food! Is it an overnighter? You'll prob get a hot dinner, snack and breakfast plus fruit in between.

Olga79 Mon 16-Jun-14 11:17:54

I get a special meal so I get mine first grin

I only have experience of the late evening flights out of LHR so I wasn't sure how much a early afternoon flight might differ.

And I know what seems logical isn't always what they do.

(I'm still annoyed that Qantas woke us at 2am GMT for breakfast when our flight arrived in London at 7am GMT in 2001!!)

Olga79 Mon 16-Jun-14 11:20:13

Leaving London at 13:30 and arriving Singapore the following day at 9:25 but with the time difference and stuff I'm not sure when nighttime will start

I would eat first before boarding. Airline food in economy class in particular is not great overall.

Singapore Airlines however leave from T3 (unfortunately there's no Giraffe or Wagamama in that terminal).

It'll start getting properly dark outside around 5-6 hours into the flight. Try and get some sleep.

List of restaurants in T3:-

T3

BeatriceBean Mon 16-Jun-14 12:16:37

I had their veggie food and it was amazing. I was really pleased with it. We like Singapore Airlines smile

Olga79 Mon 16-Jun-14 12:31:15

Being coeliac the choice of food in the airport is not going to be great either

CMOTDibbler Mon 16-Jun-14 12:43:57

blush I missed that you are flying Singapore. I'm coeliac, and spend more of my life at airports than I care to think about. At T3, I like Rhubarb (menu marked as to what can be made gf), Strada (allergy menu available), Pret (no bread sandwiches), and Yo sushi

Olga79 Mon 16-Jun-14 13:03:22

I'd hoped that we might get to fly from the new Terminal 2 but Singapore aren't moving until September.

specialsubject Tue 17-Jun-14 12:23:48

my top tip:never get on a plane hungry or with a full bladder!

Singapore Airlines serve wonderful food (on a plane, it can be done!) but it all takes time.

other top tip for this LONG flight - take am empty 1.5 litre water bottle through security. Fill at a tap (it is LHR so drinkable water) and take on board. They do give out water but it is never enough.

CMOTDibbler Tue 17-Jun-14 13:55:47

I'm def with specialsubjects advice. Esp since I have got on flights a number of time to find my gf meal hasn't made the flight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now