Marrakesh - has anyone been with a small(ish) child?

(7 Posts)
OldBeanbagz Mon 16-Jun-14 15:59:07

We took the DC when they were 6 and 3 and they really enjoyed it. They both found the souk fascinating.

We had a few days at the beginning and end of a short family trekking holiday. Would love to go back sometime.

Staying in a riad is quite unique, go for it.
That said, if you go in summer you will want a pool! A few have them.

RosieLig Sun 08-Jun-14 12:00:45

You'll love it! We just used a private guide organised by the riad.

SJaneS Sun 08-Jun-14 07:32:06

Great - thanks Rosie! Have been concerned about mad bikers and donkeys mowing kids down - having travelled in India and lived in the UAE, dodgy lavs and calls to prayer don't bother me too much! Will have a look at guided tours.x

RosieLig Sat 07-Jun-14 22:02:56

Should read we stayed in a riad-autocorrect!

RosieLig Sat 07-Jun-14 22:02:29

Yes it's fine, she will love it! Take lots of anti bacterial hand gel and loo roll when out and about as not all the toilets are well equipped!

Way stayed in a road (3 children then aged 5,3 and 1)and it was great although small boys wrestling, sharp corners, rugs and tiles weren't a good combo! Not a problem for you though! The call to prayer can be very noisy and very early (5.30am) but it's part of the experience and if it's only for a couple of nights....

I'd recommend a guided tour into the medina? Great fun. The apothecary souk was amazing.

SJaneS Sat 07-Jun-14 07:12:54

Planning ahead for next year, we're thinking of going to Marrakesh with our then 7 year old. I'd like to stay in a Riad in the Medina for a couple of days to get a proper flavour of the place before then spending the rest of the time at a larger hotel in the burbs with pools etc. Our daughter is very well travelled but I'm a little concerned about whether the Medina is going to be OK for her (have heard someone else say its not appropriate as there is lots of bikes and carts). I would personally be keen to do the Road bit though. Anyone been to Marrakesh and got any advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now