Checking in With Quantas - online or in person for best chance of an upgrade?

(11 Posts)
mckenzie Thu 05-Jun-14 18:18:58

I'm Going to Australia by myself in a few weeks time and, although I'm not holding out for it of course, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that as a mature presentable lady travelling by myself I might be good upgrade material grin
Would I be best to check in on line or check in in person at the desk do you think?
Tia

mummymeister Thu 05-Jun-14 19:02:06

checking in at the desk is always going to give your best chance. however, really don't hold out for this. its something that used to happen a lot but less so now. the downside is that if your flight is busy you might get a middle seat. at least on line you can choose an aisle or window. personally I would go for the online check in to avoid mid row or seats next to the toilets.

mckenzie Thu 05-Jun-14 19:16:21

Thanks mummymeister, that's a really good point. I'd rather go for the safe on line check in window seat option I think.

thinkfast Thu 05-Jun-14 19:18:28

I think most airlines prioritise upgrades for members of the frequent fliers clubs and other similar groups nowadays

mummymeister Thu 05-Jun-14 19:32:31

no problem Op. I think if I am brutually honest that unless you are in the groups thinkfast mentioned there is nil to no chance of getting an upgrade. check in online then go to the desk and ask but at least you know you have your seat.

CMOTDibbler Thu 05-Jun-14 19:38:10

I fly a lot, always on my own, and have good status on BA, and I haven't been upgraded for years. They are a lot more efficient now on how they sell seats, so the upgrade thing just doesn't seem to happen.

Check in online, and if they need to upgrade anyone, it will have been decided 24 hours ahead of the flight anyway, so will come up when you drop your bags

mckenzie Thu 05-Jun-14 19:39:58

Oh,I'd never actually ask blush
Just keep my fingers crossed, that's all.
Thanks for the posts.

Are you a member of their loyalty scheme?. Its called OneWorld and they are in partnership with other airlines. Priority is often given in such circs to their members. If you are not a member then I think an actual upgrade would be unlikely.

Check in online and have a lovely time in Oz. (BTW declare ANY and ALL food items on the forms if you do bring in any such foodstuffs. They are very strict!).

LadyRochford Thu 05-Jun-14 20:51:12

Some airlines you can buy an upgrade at the check in desk for much less than a business ticket would cost. If there is lots of space left.

eurochick Thu 05-Jun-14 20:56:03

I fly A LOT and have had 2 upgrades in the past 10 years. Both when other passengers have been awkward and made a fuss about their seat in some way (probably angling for an upgrade themselves - and the airline staff get pissed off with them and so solve the problem by moving them and upgrading someone else). I agree with the other posters - in my experience it will be high ranking loyalty scheme members who are first in the queue for upgrades. I've been in the BA scheme for years and rarely get anything. I'm not at the highest level. Colleagues who have reached gold do get lucky more often but not that frequently.

mckenzie Thu 05-Jun-14 22:12:50

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to declare the slabs of galaxy chocolate. smile

I flew alone to Australia with work in the late 80s and was upgraded then from business class to first class. Guess I was hoping I'd get similar good luck.
Never mind, I'll be popping the Kalms, herbal travel sickness tablets and maybe even a little sleeping tablet so it won't really matter where I sit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now