Florida Afficienados, Help me Plan!

(30 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Tue 13-May-14 21:52:30

We are going on our Big Fat Disney Holiday next year and I'm already going into hardcore planning mode!

We are going for 2 weeks. Soooooo, a few questions:

1. How many days each would you allocate to these parks, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, universal Studios, Island of Adventures, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Sea World, Kennedy Space Centre.
DCs will be 17, 8 and 7 (whilst we're there)

2. Do the hire cars come with a Sat Nav as standard?

3. Is is best to get the parks when they open or go later in the afternoon?

4. We are staying in a villa in Kissimmee. Where are the best restaurants?

mummymeister Tue 13-May-14 22:16:37

first off buy the books and look at the DIBB website. the books wdw with kids and beyond Disney have touring plans in the back. we followed them broadly speaking and got loads out of our visit tbh.
1. we loved all the parks and planned a couple of days in each but only one day at the water park because we aren't into that. Universal is definitely for the older ones.
2. no we take our own satnav. you can upload maps of different countries for a small fee online
3. we are first in last out. be prepared for lots of queueing.
4. best restaurants wow take your pick huge variety depending on what you like and budget.
don't forget downtown Disney in the evening and try to catch as many of the light and firework shows as you can. if there is fatigue then go early come back for supper and go out again to the evening things.

BaconAndAvocado Tue 13-May-14 22:42:24

Thanks mummy have just ordered the books from amazon!

Yes, thought we would spend the whole day from start to finish at the parks!

Not sure how,the wee ones will cope with the heat?!

The fireworks look superb!

We'll be celebrating both my daughter's (7th) and my (a bit more!) birthdays while we're there.

Thinking about booking a princess breakfast for DD. Is it called the Cinderella's Table? How do I book?

Also, we've booked to go to Discovery Cove on my bday. Do you know if it lasts all day? Don't know,whether to book a restaurant for the evening?

Madeyemoodysmum Wed 14-May-14 09:38:54

I'm going next year too so watching with interest

I know the princesses are in Epcot in Norway but have heard they are moving to magic kingdom not sure how ttrue that is. Queues are massive for princesses so go early or book a character experience.

We did that in Paris so not bothering in US as my dd a bit old for princesses now

Madeyemoodysmum Wed 14-May-14 09:40:02

What hotel r you in?

BaconAndAvocado Wed 14-May-14 20:31:12

Hi madeye we are staying in a villa, Tuscan Hills in Kissimmee.

Yes, I bet the princesses will be mahoosively popular!

I've been reading up on the Cinderella's Table character breakfast, sounds very lovely and I think you get to get into the park before everyone else.

Madeyemoodysmum Wed 14-May-14 20:58:41

Fab. We did a princess dinner in euro Disney when ourdd was 5. It was expensive but worth every penny. Those memories will be with me forever. Now she is more interested in the rides.

If she was younger I would definitely do a princess thing in USA.

BaconAndAvocado Thu 15-May-14 20:07:55

When and where are you staying madeye ?

My books from amazon arrived today BUT I was at work , grrrrrangry

Madeyemoodysmum Thu 15-May-14 21:33:47

Disney Caribbean beach and universal Loews Pacific.spring Next year

Very excited.

BaconAndAvocado Fri 16-May-14 22:40:42

Ooh that all sounds fab

Going to pick up my new guidebooks tomorrow morning! Yippee!

FanSpamTastic Fri 16-May-14 23:11:24

Hi there

We went over Easter.

We hired a US sat nav in the uk and took it with us. Cost about £30 for 2 weeks - cheaper than paying for the hire car companies sat nav. But definitely useful.

There are lots of restaurants on the #192 which is the main road running from west to east through Kissimmee. Whole ranged of restaurants - depends what you like. One place our kids loved was called "sweet tomatoes". It was a soup and salad place - I think they were sick of fries!

We allowed a day at each park and a rest day in between - though sometimes on a rest day we would go to a park in the evening instead. So I would mix up with a few early starts and then a few late ones - some of the parks are open until 10 pm.

Madeyemoodysmum Sat 17-May-14 00:20:08

How were the crowds at Easter? We go next yr second week so not over the bank holidays and then missing a week of school. Oops!

BaconAndAvocado Sat 17-May-14 09:08:24

Hi fan that makes sense to break up the days a bit with chill out times.

Yes, I bet you never wanted to see another frie again did you?!

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Sat 17-May-14 09:23:06

Hi, I went to Discovery cove it was amazing. There is a huge lunch in the middle of the day so I would book a slightly later dinner. You will probably still want to have dinner as you can swim all day if you want to and it builds up an appetite.

If your kids are big roller coaster fans it is worth spending more time at Busch gardens, as it has great rides and amazing animals (we got to feed a giraffe!) and there are also some great roller coasters at the Universal parks, they are next door to each other so you can split your day between the two and go back on all your favourite things.

When we went to Disney with my neices and nephews it was definitely for younger kids, the two five year olds loved the princesses but the older children got a bit bored with the parades and shows, so it might be worth alternating Magic Kingdom with Busch or Universal so both the older and younger children are kept happy.

couch25cakes Sat 17-May-14 13:29:23

We allow two short days at magic kingdom and Epcot and a day at the others. We always go early and do a few hours and then leave for a rest and a swim. We've done a day at universal and islands of adventure. But we'll also do a few evening trips to see the fireworks and a few more rides.

ChestyNut Sat 17-May-14 15:25:47

We stayed at discovery cove until around 6 when it closed. So would book a later meal. Not sure if it was the excitement or the jet lag but we were all in bed at 8pm that night blush

Have you tried the Dibb? It's addictive and full of info.

BaconAndAvocado Sat 17-May-14 20:13:05

Hi chesty think we've meet on other Floridophile threadssmile

Yes I have been on the Dibb but, being a bit technophobic, I can't seem to get to grips with a lot of it! Will have another try soon.

Have got my 2 new Disney guide books. Can't wait till the wee ones are asleep to get stuck into some Disney planning. Trying not to be too anal about it all but know there needs to be some planning!

goodgrief54 Mon 19-May-14 12:46:46

Hi. I am in Florida at the moment and loving it! as this was my first trip here I had not realised so much despite doing loads of research. .

one really handy thing is the disney app. there is free wifi in all disney parks and on the app you can see how long wait lines are and then change your fast passes accordingly. It has saved us hours of queuing.. We have been here less than a week and i cant believe how much we have done.. We are all shattered! looking forward to a couple of beach days.. smile smile

BaconAndAvocado Mon 19-May-14 13:58:26

Enjoy the rest of your hols * goodgrief*

Is the app called My Disney Experience?

ChestyNut Mon 19-May-14 18:02:04

I'm stalking the Florida threads bacon not you, honest wink

HermioneWeasley Mon 19-May-14 19:15:33

We are booking for next Easter - getting v excited!

BaconAndAvocado Mon 19-May-14 20:36:54

grin chesty gonna be doing a whole lot more stalking and lurking over the next 15 -is it really that long- months.

BaconAndAvocado Mon 19-May-14 20:37:48

God I'm rubbish.

Meant to say, oh never mind..........Disney is a bloody long way off!

Sallypoo08 Mon 26-May-14 08:18:24

I'm watching too - going august 15... Have made list of things to sort now... Books, apps, dibs :-)

Claudiecat Mon 26-May-14 08:32:24

Just after Easter is fairly quiet. Early starts are a must. You have to get there for 'rope drop' and make the most of the first hour the park is open. Another tip we found useful was to go to the left when entering the park as psychologically that's the opposite way to where people want to go.
Plenty of places to eat. We've done Disney restaurants but wouldn't bother again as they're very expensive and good only okish. We like to eat at Cracker Barrel, Perkins (both of these serve proper dinners - not fries etc which can get too repetitive) Olive Garden has the best lasagna I've ever had. It's also worth seeking out independent eateries. There's a fabulous steak house near Haines City where you can get three top class steak meals with soft drinks for £25.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now