LA hotels - help!!

(11 Posts)
weeredcar Mon 28-Apr-14 10:20:13

Hi,

My OH and I are going to the US in November (4 nights Vegas/2 nights Anaheim/5 nights LA/3 nights Vegas) and I am looking for help with the 5 nights in LA.

I have been looking at hotels for a few months now and can't decide where's best - does anyone have any suggestions?

We were looking at staying near Universal but OH thinks this might be too out of the way.

Thanks in advance
smile

MillyMollyMama Wed 30-Apr-14 00:34:59

Stay in Santa Monica. You need a car in LA. You can drive everywhere you might want to go and parking lots everywhere. Santa Monica is more pleasant than LA itself. Shutters on the Beach is lovely.

MillyMollyMama Wed 30-Apr-14 00:37:43

I meant to say, I think Universal is Orange County so not downtown LA, but you don't want to be in downtown LA. If you do, look at The Beverley Hills Hotel, The Mondrian or The Andaz.

Tinkerball Wed 30-Apr-14 21:10:28

Universal isn't in Orange County, it's in North Hollywood area I think - we stayed at the Beverly Garland which is in North Hollywood and it was only 10 minutes from Universal, they ran a free shuttle bus. This also could drop you of at the metro station and then it's only 1 stop to Hollywood Boulevard. When you say your OH thinks this may be too out of the way, what is it he wants to be near? LA is vast.

sleepdodger Wed 30-Apr-14 21:23:22

The Beverly Hilton is colonial nice by sunset bvd or Mondrian for something a little sharper

caroldecker Thu 01-May-14 00:03:37

Orange county is about 75 miles from Universal
Santa monica ia about 12 miles from LA central as is universal
Me, I love huntingdon beach, Laguna beach and seal beach - but they are around orange county
You MUST hire a car

angelohsodelight Wed 14-May-14 05:46:27

Lowes in Hollywood is very nice and good location.

Singsongmama Wed 14-May-14 05:52:38

The Georgian in Santa Monica....overlooking the beach and palm trees....oh to be there now smile

don't stay near Universal, you can get there easy enough and NoHo doesn't really have any other touristy sights.

Another vote for the Mondrian, it's gorgeous and nicely located, best Santa Monica Beach hotel is Shutters (if you're a bit flush!), Hotel Erwin in Venice is also lovely

WellWoman Tue 20-May-14 08:27:54

We stayed at The Georgian last August for a few nights on a trip through California. Had a corner suite at the front with a great sea view and loads of space. DCs were on rollaway beds in the living room.
We went to Universal, the drive was easy but slow - like everywhere in the city really.
Would definitely recommend Santa Monica. Lots you can do on foot from where we were - the beach - complete with old fashioned pier and rides, nice neighbourhood shops and restaurants.

SoGladToHaveFoundThis Tue 20-May-14 17:20:12

The Loews in LA is nice. What is your budget?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now