Booked the holiday of a lifetime but I am now pregnant

(14 Posts)
SJC2014 Mon 28-Apr-14 09:08:32

So.. I have booked to go to jamacia in march 2015 all inclusive for 2 weeks.. My mum is getting married there! Found out a couple of weeks ago I am 9 weeks pregnant- so the baby will be due in November I have spoken to thomas cook who said I can take the little one- anyone else taken a baby on a long haul flight? Or to a hot climate? I feel like I should cancel I will loose 2000 pounds and my mum will be so upset.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Mon 28-Apr-14 09:12:21

Why cancel? confused

Go. It'll be fine. In fact it will be great once there. Plan and prepare and you will be grand. No way should you cancel going to your mum's wedding. That really is putting your life on hold because you had a baby. Babies are portable. wink

PestoSunnyissimos Mon 28-Apr-14 09:14:32

When we go to the Caribbean there are nearly always babies travelling as a lot of people are visiting family & friends. Babies are very portable and the cost of travel will be nominal as they are under 2.

The only thing I would say is to make sure you get their passport application in really early, as it sounds like the Passport Offices struggle to turnround 1st applications.

Anyhoo, I would suggest you still go and just enjoy! Good luck with your pregnancy smile

Tex111 Mon 28-Apr-14 09:17:34

Definitely go. Long haul is the best time to travel with a baby, before they're old enough to get bored and run around. Most likely baby will sleep through most of it. The white noise of the plane always helped mine to sleep.

oscarwilde Mon 28-Apr-14 09:42:29

4-5 month old baby, it's the perfect time to go. You'll have recovered, the baby will be in some sort of routine and sleeping for longer periods than 3 hrs at a time, and you won't have started weaning yet. If you BF you won't even have to fret about local water.
Bonus is that the baby won't be able to roll off a blanket and won't yet be in the super chubby phase before they start crawling so won't be too uncomfy in the heat.
Definitely don't cancel, it won't be the trip you imagined but it will be a damn sight better than staying at home. grin

mummymeister Mon 28-Apr-14 11:04:16

you have only just found out so I would give yourself a couple of months really before making any sort of decision either way.

noviceoftheday Mon 28-Apr-14 11:10:08

I agree with Oscar. I have done a long haul holiday with a young child for each of the last 5 years. The best time is when they are under 6 months. The worst (shudders at memories) is between 18 months and 3 years. I wouldn't cancel you will have a great time!

oscarwilde Mon 28-Apr-14 13:15:54

Contact the airline now to request a flight cot and a bulkhead seat - there are only about 2-4 per flight so earlier is best.

Congrats !

specialsubject Mon 28-Apr-14 19:28:22

don't forget to advise your insurers now - shouldn't be an issue as you aren't going while pregnant, but they need to know.

and you add 'infant TBA' to the booking and insurance.

congratulations!

18yearsoftrying Tue 29-Apr-14 18:53:47

Congrats OP
I am in the same boat & wondering if anyone can recommend any insurance companies who would cover for unforeseen events.

I gather the one promoted by Santander 123 does but does anyone know of any others please?

specialsubject Tue 29-Apr-14 22:17:05

I hope this doesn't mean you have booked a trip and didn't buy insurance immediately?

the travel insurance needs to be bought ASAP after the tickets to provide cancellation cover.

18yearsoftrying Thu 01-May-14 16:50:40

Flexicover seems to be a very good one as it has unlimited expenses, no excess and covers curtailment & unexpected cancellation due to unforseen circumstances.

OwlCapone Thu 01-May-14 16:55:11

I took DD to The Caribbean when she was 6 months old. It was no problem at all.

Elise27 Sat 23-May-15 22:34:36

I took my 3 month old on a carribean cruise no problems flight was fine just request a skycot before u go ..... Enjoy !!!!!wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now