Mexico or Barbados?

(7 Posts)
bonvivant Thu 03-Apr-14 07:31:23

Hi, have narrowed search for family friendly holiday down to Mexico (Playa del Carmen) or Barbados (South Coast).

I've been to Mexico so know what it is like, lots to do etc, but never been to Barbados. It is working out more expensive than Mexico so that is a consideration.

Has anyone been to both? How do they compare? We did find Mexico quite American - guess Barbados may attract more UK visitors?

Thanks!

What time of year are you thinking of travelling?. I ask only as the rainy season in Barbados starts in mid July.

bonvivant Thu 03-Apr-14 17:40:55

It will be second week July. I'm aware that it is start of the hurricane season in the area but have been to Florida and Mexico at that time of year - hot and sunny with occasional thundery shower.

Is Barbados markedly different?

AngieM2 Thu 03-Apr-14 17:58:51

We are going October half term with kids aged 14 and 12 and have chosen Mexico purely due to budget and being able to do AI. In Barbados we would have spent the same on an apartment as our AI in Mexico which is a 2 room suite. As this is the beach/relaxing part of our 2 centre holiday it was a no-brainer! (We are 2 centre with NY)

celtiethree Thu 03-Apr-14 18:35:32

We have booked Mexico AI. Price was deciding factor. Have been to Barbados West Coastst too expensive this time.

IslandIsla Sun 06-Apr-14 00:51:16

I have only been to barbados of the two so can't really fully answer you question. barbados seems to have mainly uk and canadian tourists, I would say. I think barbados is on the edge of the hurricane belt and has been hit relatively rarely.

squiby2004 Sun 06-Apr-14 21:10:22

Mexico every time. Stayed 3 times in playa feel Carmen and once south coast and once west coast of Barbados. Barbados is my least favourite Caribbean Island. Overpriced and seems to attract rather a lot of ummmm how can I say this? Posers? Braggers? Nowhere bear as good value as Mexico and weather will be better in Mexico in July than it will in Barbados.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now