United airways seat belt length

(13 Posts)
DuffyMoon Wed 02-Apr-14 13:03:30

am going to America for first time and I am panicking about the length of the seatbelt as am a fat git. I keep reading these lists where all the other airline belts are 40 odd inches and UA's are 31 inches !!!!! I could stop eating now and still wouldn�t fit in 31 inches.

I went on Jet2 last year and was fine�and yes, I know there is a way I could stop all this but I just wondered if anyone had flown UA and noticed

Thank you smile

mummymeister Wed 02-Apr-14 14:28:41

ring them up and ask them on their customer services line. if they think there might be a problem they have seat belt extensions. by telling them in advance it means there is one there for you. saves any embarrassment after you have boarded.

givemeaclue Wed 02-Apr-14 14:32:32

Good luck with that, United are dire at customer service (bitter after being stranded by them)

From UA's website:-

The average length of the seatbelt extension is approximately 25 inches

Tinkerball Wed 02-Apr-14 14:59:23

Sorry yes they do seem small to me! I flew United last September to New York, I'm a size 24 and I really struggled to get it clipped unfortunately. Once on I put it under my tummy for comfort and kept it on! I then flew to London with BA in December dreading it - and it was absolutely fine!

DuffyMoon Wed 02-Apr-14 15:26:23

Crap ... I am 24/26 ... Could I ask your waist size tinkerball, though will understand if you tell me to bugger off ;)

Tinkerball Wed 02-Apr-14 16:21:50

I'm not sure what it is actually, too big obviously! I remember dreading needing the loo as I had the struggle to get it back in, looking like a contortionist in the process.

Longdistance Wed 02-Apr-14 16:25:41

You'll get given an extension seat belt. Or you can ask for one. They are used for babies too.

Germgirl Wed 02-Apr-14 16:36:30

I'm a fat git. (I'm NOT saying you are btw) & there's no way I can use any airlines seatbelt without an extension. To avoid the embarrassment of asking for one I bought one on eBay.
About a tenner. Well worth it IMO.

Tinkerball Wed 02-Apr-14 23:25:39

Germgirl - thank you, I never thought of buying one! We are planning on going to New York with United in December and I might need this.

DuffyMoon Thu 03-Apr-14 16:39:05

I have a feeling that you are not allowed to use your own seatbelt extenders anymore... has anyone been on a jet2 and United? I realise this venn diagram might be quite small though - can fit Jet2 a-ok

DuffyMoon Thu 03-Apr-14 19:47:09

smile

Longdistance Thu 03-Apr-14 20:26:43

I wouldn't buy one, when the airline gives you one for free.

If it's with United, I don't know if it's FAA approved. Not sure with any Uk airlines as they follow CAA rules.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, as an airline will provide you with an extension seat belt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now