What to do in Kathmandu?

(5 Posts)

Possibly transferring over to Ktm for work, and company have funded a visit over there, for two weeks, including DC (who are 14, 13 and 4, near 5). We will be staying with the coordinator in the neighbourhood we'd most likely live in, called Lazimpat, in the NW part, fairly close to the Palace Museum, I believe but residential and non touristy. A lot of that time is spent doing practical, not touristy stuff, to do with the schools and looking at moving there, seeing estate agent, I'm also going out of Ktm for two days to see one place where I'd be working at.

However, that leaves a good few days to do touristy stuff grin DC have been on holiday twice, and the furthest abroad we've gone was four hours by plane, so looking for some fun!

So far have planned on visiting the Palace Museum, the Boudhanath stupa, Durbar square and Chitwan national park, six hours away. We can go to further away places etc; as accommodation, flights, most meals etc; have all been paid for.

Where would you go? DH and I can split up, if there's something which wouldn't suit both teens and a younger child.

cakewitch Fri 28-Mar-14 06:52:36

You lucky things. I love Kathmandu, Theres a beautiful old restored palace just on the outskirts of Thamel, called The Garden of Dreams, lovely for younger kids, gorgeous gardens, and goldfish ponds, nice to while away a relaxing afternoon, Thamel is nice for a wander round the shops for the older kids, cool stuff to buy. Dont miss the early morning flight around Everest, but only if the weather is good, and Chitwan is an absolute must-do. BUT fly there if you can, a six hour car journey in Nepal can very quickly turn into a 12 hour one, and that road to Chitwan is classed as one of the most dangerous in the world!
We took Ds when he was small, and he absolutely loved it.

cakewitch Fri 28-Mar-14 06:53:36

OH... and The Monkey Temple, too.. dont miss that.

The Monkey Temple sounds great. Garden of Dreams sounds good too, and will look at flying to Chitwan. thanks

JanePurdy Wed 02-Apr-14 11:59:18

Bakhtapur! Beautiful old town about an hour from Kathmandu. Go watch the potters. Eat curd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now