Passport for usa

(12 Posts)
Pootrouble Thu 20-Mar-14 09:06:05

Can anyone here help me please. Dh and the two doc have biometric passports so all fine. However mine is not. It was issued in jan 2006 so falls within a 12 month period when the passport could be ok to travel on but could not! It all depends on whether my passport photo is digital or not! The passport office can't tell me and I can't tell aaaarghhh.

Anyway I know it's machine readable as it has chevrons at the bottom but apparently some still don't have a digital pic. So is there any way of telling if my pic is digital or not??? It looks like it prob is but I want to be certain

(When does your passport expire?. If its a 10 year adult one then it won't expire until January 2016).

If it is machine readable then it is fine and will be able to be scanned at the US immigration booth. My previous 10 year passport issued in August 2002 did not have a digitised photo in it and I have entered the US on it without any problems.

Passport designs change all the time and digitised photos (my new passport now has two photos in it) and biometrics are now pretty much standard. That tech was not available a decade ago.

Do not forget to do the ESTA for all of you online. Only use the official US Government website and no other.

Machine readable passport contains two lines of text with numbers and chevrons (<<<) at the bottom of the personal information page with the passport bearer's picture.

Document requirements vary according to the date a passport was issued or renewed as follows:
•Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended before October 26, 2005 have no additional requirements.
•If a passport was issued or renewed/extended on or after October 26, 2005 and does not meet the following requirements, the traveler must obtain a visa:
1. Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended on or after October 26, 2005 through October 25, 2006 must meet the following requirements: A digital photograph printed on the passport data page is required OR an integrated chip containing information from the data page (e-passport). A digital photo is one that is printed on the page, not a photo that is glued or laminated into the passport.
2. Machine-readable passports issued or renewed/extended on or after October 26, 2006 are required to be e-passports.

MissMilbanke Thu 20-Mar-14 10:21:45

Oh bloody hell I think this affects me too op I was in blissful ignorance if this

My passport was issued in nov 05, it's machine readable lots of >>><<< but I think my picture might not be digital just by looking at others in the family

There is a hologram of tudor rose daffodils and thistles on but it feels inlaid - others in the family feel smooth.

My esta was approved though...

Oh shit bollocks shit ... We go in 3 weeks

www.usembassy.org.uk/visaservices/?p=420

The above may also help, IIRC there was a lot of confusion around this time re passports anyway.

Rosvita Thu 20-Mar-14 12:08:42

missmilbanke my passport is exactly same as yours (same hologram,slight ridge etc) but looks as though it is digital (certainly is not the original photo (I.e. On white card) glued in. Have travelled to US using it in 2006 and 2008 so unless rules have changed since then I assume it is a digital photo.this thread did make me panic a bit though so I phoned the passport office but they weren't much help.If anyone finds out a categorical answer would you mind posting to let us know?Thanks.

My previous 10 year passport issued in August 2002 had exactly the same flowers hologram on it with a second hologram reading United Kingdom Passport on it in capital letters. I made several visits to the US on this passport without any problems at all. As far as I am aware the passport needs to be valid for the duration of your trip and is machine readable.

Passports issued now are somewhat different; there are now two photos and that page is now near the front of the passport document.

If you are still unsure speak to the Foreign and Commonwealth office rather than the passport office.

Rosvita Thu 20-Mar-14 12:55:45

Thanks attila I just gave the f and c office a call just to see what they'd say but they were unable to help saying they are there to assist British citizens in trouble abroad and don't have anything to do with passports. Sounds as though my passport will be valid it's just that the October 2005-October 2006 timeframe (during which time my passport was issued) has it's own section in the passport requirements info for usa for some reason.

MissMilbanke Fri 21-Mar-14 10:20:08

After reading the links provided here (thanks) I am sure it will be fine. I am just going to ignore stay calm and carry on.

<head in the sand>

rosvita I'm going in 3 weeks for a fortnight so will let you know how I got on !

eurochick Fri 21-Mar-14 10:33:25

Interesting. I travel in and out of the US several times a year and have never heard of this. My passport was renewed in April 2006. It does look like the photo is printed on the page though, so I must have got lucky. I've never had any difficulties on my travels and I must have been through US passport control at least 20 times on it.

CestTout Fri 21-Mar-14 13:46:19

Mine runs out in July 2015 and I have been to the states once or twqice a year since 2009 with absolutely no problems. Hope that helps

Rosvita Fri 21-Mar-14 23:02:15

missmilbanke thanks that would be fab if you could let me know how you got on.Have a fab holiday - where in America are you going?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now