14 weeks longhaul to China

(7 Posts)

Hi There,
It looks like I may have to fly to Shandong, North East China when I'll be approx. 14-16 weeks pregnant. It's for work and the hotels etc will be v.good so no major issues with quality of food, but will be working long days in the factories/fabric mills.
This is my first pregnancy and just worried about side effects and dangers of longhaul.
Any advise would be helpful as I'm in two minds whether to go or not.
Thanks

Apparentlychilled Fri 07-Mar-14 19:03:15

Bump for you.

blackteaplease Fri 07-Mar-14 19:05:30

You will be ok, i flew to Thailand at 20 weeks. I would get some flight socks, try to move around the plane regularly and stay hydrated.

You might be better posting in pregnancy - I ready your title as you were going to china for 14 weeks.

Flying should be fine at that stage - 2nd trimester is often the time recommended to go - less morning sickness, but not to much of a bump.
Remember to drink plenty and keep moving on the plane.

You'll know the factories better than I can guess, but I was banned from our ear defence only areas when pregnant, other than for very brief visits. One of my Italian colleagues was banned from plant during pregnancy. Yoy need to consider the factory environment and the effect that may have on your baby - including any chemicals they may use in the production / dying process.

I flew to Hong Kong 12 weeks pregnant, I don't work in textiles tho.

ShanghaiDiva Sat 08-Mar-14 11:26:43

As addicted says - 2nd trimester is the best time to travel. I would be more concerned about the factory environment than the flight.

Bunbaker Sat 08-Mar-14 22:59:43

OH works in China sometimes and he said that the food in the factory canteen is just about inedible. He rarely gets dodgy tummy trouble but managed to on his first visit. He stays somewhere in the back of beyond though and now takes a suitcase full of food because it is so awful there.

Thanks for the advise everyone, really helps....still finding my way round the message boards grin) The quality of factories should be fine but will double check everything before hand, not going to take any risks.

Bunbaker - thanks for the tip on food, have heard horror stories!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now