dubai then thailand

(14 Posts)
lolato Fri 07-Mar-14 07:35:13

Hi there, I am organising a big group trip (15 people) to dubai and thailand (2nights/14nights) for my dad's birthday.
Deided to go for hilton jumeraih beach and centara karon in phuket.
I am a bit worried about how much we will have to spend for food and excursions, especially as dubai is expensive. Hotels not confirmed yet so wanted to ask if any of you have been to a good reasonable hotel with half board in dubai and phuket??
thanks a lot...what about trips to the islands in phuket? so many of us, but i will probably need to pay for food and excursions....as i am organising it....

Creamycoolerwithcream Fri 07-Mar-14 13:31:49

I just got back from Dubai and stayed in Atlantis the Palm (similar standard to Jumeriah Beach) Evening meals were about from �40 per head. Excersions in Dubai are very cheap. I booked mine through Viator, for example a 5 hour excellent city tour was �22 each. Drinks in our 5 star hotel were around �10 for a wine or beer and I think �5 for a soft drink.
I have booked to go to Thailand for next year and trips to Phi Phi etc seem to be about �60 each. You may be able to organize
Group rate/prices/private tours as there are a lot of you.

lolato Mon 17-Mar-14 19:25:08

So sorry for late reply!! Have been so busy! Seems to be very expensive for drinks! What about attractions??

lolato Mon 17-Mar-14 19:26:04

Hi all anyone used value added travel for trip to Dubai? There has been some bad review but go tv good quote... Thanks!!

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Mon 17-Mar-14 19:32:44

Alcohol is very expensive in Dubai, although there can be cheap deals on different nights (check out Time Out Dubai website).

Jumeirah Beach Hotel is lovely and if you stop there you get entry to the water park included. Food at the water park is pretty reasonable and you can spend the day there.

As mentioned, you can find decent excursions that aren't too expensive. Would be worth buying an Entertainer Book if there are going to be a few of you, basically a book full of buy one get one free vouchers. They have Desert Safaris etc in them, so if you plan on going on one of them, it is worth it. You can buy it as an app for your phone https://www.theentertainerme.com/uae/

lolato Mon 17-Mar-14 20:24:08

Thanks for your advice. Will be there in August... Dreading the high temperature but had no choice. What can we do with young children without them being burnt??

candycrushhater Mon 17-Mar-14 20:34:03

We went to Dubai in October and popped in to the Hilton Jumeira Beach for a look around (it's a different hotel from Jumeira beach hotel). It was a bustling, family friendly hotel with loads of kids in the pool. It's on "The Walk" which had loads of restaurants and coffee shops on it - most were very reasonably priced and they were all busy.

There's lots to do with the kids at the Dubai Mall (largest in the world), it has a good website with the details.

We were child free when we went, but when we go back with the DCs we'll likely stay at the Hilton Jumeira beach.

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Tue 18-Mar-14 11:24:42

Gah sorry read your OP wrong and thought it was JBH you were stopping at.

Get the Entertainer Book and use the two for one voucher to go to Wild Wadi, you can spend the day there in August with the kids and have a great time, plenty of shade and food, and feels cooler as its by the water. Atlantis also has a water park, but it is much more spread about and doesn't offer as much shade, so I would definitely go for Wild Wadi. You make your money back on the book just by using it at WW.

August is definitely the hottest time to come!

Sparklysilversequins Tue 18-Mar-14 11:39:17

The heat will be unbearable in August, however saying that, we went for three weeks and managed. As a pp said its fine in the water park as the water keeps everything cooler and being in and out of the water helps you body to handle the heat. You will find it hard to go out walking anywhere, even at night and it will be a case of hotel - taxi with air con - destination. Dubai mall is fantastic.

Even if you don't stay at The Atlantis it's worth a visit as it has the most amazing aquarium running through the centre of the hotel and loads of stuff to do, restaurants, bars etc. I have stayed there twice before and it's fine but probably not worth the money IMO. The water dancing fountains by Dubai Mall and The Burj Khalifa is a must with plenty of restaurants from which to view.

It won't be massively busy at that time of year either as many people go to cooler places and not so many tourists visit.

Sparklysilversequins Tue 18-Mar-14 11:41:42

Oh and if you do decide to stay at The Atlantis go for half board as the breakfasts are phenomenal, then you get to choose from a number of different restaurants for lunch or dinner.

cazakstan Tue 18-Mar-14 11:43:21

HiLolato We holiday in Thailand twice a year....I have stayed at Centara Karon beach...It's quite a way out from the main beach at patong...If you haven,t booked yet...look at Centara grand mirage beach resort on patong beach....food is pretty cheep in Thailand and there's some great street food. If you're on the beach or around the hotel pool it's much cheeper do do a beer/ refreshments run to the seven eleven.
You can go to PiPi from phuket...you know where they filmed the beach with Leonardo De Caprio...there's also monkey island. Do not book trips through your travel agent...wait "till you're in Thailand and shop around for prices...most streets have agents...since there's so many of you you WILL get good deals....don't pay the price you are given first off...barter and don't be afraid of walking away. You'll be able to charter a boat exclusively for your group to go to the islands. There's also the usual elephant rides too. I hope this is helpful...if you need any more info please message me. smile

mumof2energeticboys Sun 13-Apr-14 11:56:48

Sorry I can't see ages of the kids but ours (8/6) absolutely loved kidzania in the Dubai mall. Great day out.

dancingnancy Sun 13-Apr-14 12:16:30

Phuket with children, we love Bangtao Beach area and have stayed many times. You have the pricier Laguna Hotels at one end and then some really nice looking less expensive hotels at the other end. It's very relaxed and evenings mostly spent eating at the local restaurants on the beach while the children play on the sand and try and catch the little crabs.

lolato Sun 13-Apr-14 20:52:34

Hi all! so sorry for late reply, have been so busy at work...Thanks for your replies...I am currently looking at excursions...are they child friendly to go to phi phi for example...? any other recommended excursion? what about dino land? Do you remember how much it was??
Thank you all!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now