Considering NYC for 4 or 5 days in April with young kids. Mad?

(16 Posts)
HermioneWeasley Sun 02-Feb-14 19:32:48

Anyone done this? I think there will be lots for the kids to do, but it is a ridiculous journey? Will the jet lag ruin it?

Any thoughts/ideas?

Hulababy Sun 02-Feb-14 19:52:24

Not at all mad. How old will they be?
You can use jet lag to your advantage when on a short tip - use the early wake ups to get out and about before the rush, then retire to bed earlier than usual.

DD was 7 the first time we went - our friend's girls who were with us were 4y and 7y. DD has been another twice at diffrent ages, last time int he summer aged 11y.

There is loads to see and do, especially for children.

fuckwittery Sun 02-Feb-14 19:55:45

How old are the kids? We had a lovely trip there in April 2 years ago and weather was perfect.
Recommend Top of the Rock, ferry to Ellis Island, children's museum Manhatten

JugglingChaotically Sun 02-Feb-14 19:56:31

No. Did it in the summer when youngest was 5 but have done other cities with as young as 2!
It works. As said, early starts work work with jet lag!
My advice is lots of pit stops.
We stop mid morning for drinks and small snack, lunch and again mid afternoon.
And always carry water.
Lots to do for all ages.
Have fun!

JugglingChaotically Sun 02-Feb-14 19:57:20

Sorry. The "no" was no not mad.
We had a great time!

HermioneWeasley Sun 02-Feb-14 20:23:55

Sounds good. Have a 7 and a 4 yr old.

Any recommendations on places to stay or things to do?

Electryone Sun 02-Feb-14 20:49:13

We only had a day and a half there last year with our 2 boys aged 5 and 11, we were on the way to California. But we packed a lot in! Staten Island ferry is free and gives you a good view of the Statue of Liberty and the skyline. Booked to go up Top of the Rock - great views of the City! We also took them to the giant Toys R us in Times Square, it has a big ferris wheel inside the storesmile

fuckwittery Mon 03-Feb-14 11:07:49

They should be fine at that age with the plane journey, I'm flying on my own to NY this year with a 7 year old, 4 year old and 6 month old! Recommend packing plenty of snacks for the plane and sandwiches as the meals never come at the right time for when your kids are hungry and if they don't like the food its a long journey.
I have done the London-NY journey many times and with kids this age I would firstly gradually keep them up later at home for a few days before if they are not at school so instead of going to bed 7pm (2pm NY time) its more like 10 or 11pm which means you can have more of a full day as their natural bedtime will be 5pm or 6pm NY time. If you don't acclimatise before you go prepare for 2am wakings and being shattered by lunchtime, although this can be dealt with by an early afternoon nap, but you need to plan to be back where you're staying for the nap.
I like to fly leaving London in the afternoon and getting into NY about 8pm, everyone's exhausted by the time you get to the hotel but you can go to bed at a normal Ny time and then not risk such an early waking. Overnight red eye flight is good on the way back but take those neck pillows for everyone and if you can have another adult to look after your kids when you get home that's best as the kids will likely have slept but you'll be shattered.

HermioneWeasley Mon 03-Feb-14 19:47:25

Thanks for the tips fuckwittery

JugglingChaotically Mon 03-Feb-14 21:18:16

We did Empire State Building to get bearings. Also did circle line cruise (half) 2nd afternoon - they were exhausted so seat just what was required and snacks - energy levels up and starting to spot things they had seen.
Oddly we found lots of walking worked. More opportunity for lots of well timed deli/cafe stops. (I had a selection pre scouted out!).
Playpark near the library for down time too. Small and safe. With tables and chairs and much needed coffee! (Left Central Park for when more energy.).
Did diff boat to Statue of Liberty. More down time!
And yes - early starts early tea - they eat earlier over there anyway!
(And if going to Asia the opposite. Long lies - bliss - and later dinners!!)

Hulababy Mon 03-Feb-14 21:52:10

We were there for a week the first time - 4y, and two 7y. Also been with DD at 9y and 11y.

What we have done:

* 2 day bus pass for the hop on/off Gray Line bus - did the uptown and downtown tours: http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/
* Duck tour (also Gray Line iirr)
* Ellis Island and Staten Island - didn't go up Statue of Liberty as it was closed
* Battery Park
* Children's museum of Manhattan: http://www.cmom.org/
* Central Park - plenty of playgrounds, rocks to climb, picnic places, etc. Also went to see the John Lennon memorial
* Top of the Rock
* FAO Schwartz
* Toys R Us in Times Square
* Natural History Museum
* 9/11 Twin Towers site - was still in progress then in 2009; went last year and buildings now there, museum opened recently, memorial gardens open
* M&M shop
* Guggenheim
* Build a Bear
* Empire State Building - view from Top of the Rock, imo, is better though - can see central park and ESB from up there
* Met Art
* shopping - Macys, Bloomingdales, 5th Avenue, etc

Plus plenty of wandering around and looking - so much to see! Lots of places to eat from cheap to high end.

Katz Mon 03-Feb-14 22:12:37

We went with hulababy with our DHs and three DDs. We stayed on Jamaica bay which was about 45minsin the a train to the Wall Street and just under an hour to Central Park. The girls liked riding the subway and the locals were so chatty, think the girls got given seats by them most nights!

We did loads in the week, hulas listed it above. We were lucky because it was the first weekend when Broadway and Times Square had been pedestrianised. There were people sat in deck chairs just because they could! The hop on tours were slightly in disarray because it was the first couple of days of new routes.

We quiet liked just wandering around, so much of New York has appeared in films.

The bus your was great and the people giving the commentary were great each recommended things to do and see and places to eat. They all seemed like genuine New Yorkers.

We had an amazing time and whilst dd2 struggles to remember some bits she still remembers most if it, she was 4 when we went and is now 8.5.

HermioneWeasley Tue 04-Feb-14 07:22:17

Brilliant tips, thanks so much

SidandAndyssextoy Wed 05-Feb-14 01:25:47

Central Park Zoo is great. Compact so not tiring, and no need to think about food etc as you can do it in a morning, but a great variety of animals. Don't miss the polar bears.

MarcoMar Sun 16-Feb-14 19:12:18

Hello, hello smile I, my husband and the young one visited NYC a few weeks ago. It wasn't easy, I'm not sure that he'll even remember it, but we did it mostly for ourselves. We chose the lightest and not so popular routes, tried waking up really early. We also tried to find a children-friendly hotel ( new-york.hotelscheap.org/ has some good offers). I wish you a nice stay and don't forget to keep the children close to you!

celtiethree Sat 22-Feb-14 20:16:39

The USS Intrepid on the West Side is brilliant, you easily spend half a day there. Also the Herkschler (sp!) playground in Central Park is amazing, go to wholefoods - Columbus Circus to get a picnic and spend hours and hours there. Visit MoMo. Personally I would give Empire State a miss and just do Top of the Rock. Security for The Statue of Liberty is awful. We went with three boys, 2,5,8 and had a fantastic time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now