USA thats not florida/n york/new england/California

(52 Posts)
Muddiboots Wed 29-Jan-14 15:12:55

Plotting holiday for this summer, 2 adults and 4 teenagers, am pining for the states as havent been for a few years and miss the restaurants and drugstores!
Have "done" the above, any ideas for new places?
would like hot enoughto swim, bit of flobby time somewhere, not necc a beach, then a bit of adventure/road trip.
not much to ask smile

ihatethecold Wed 29-Jan-14 15:52:29

Great question.
I'm going to lurk to see what ideas appear.

ooerrmissus Switzerland Wed 29-Jan-14 15:53:34

Washington DC? Fabulous museums, Lincoln memorial etc.

bridgetsmum Wed 29-Jan-14 15:54:01

Arizona

bridgetsmum Wed 29-Jan-14 15:54:45

Or Seattle, id love to go there and the country in Washington State looks beautiful

charitygirl Wed 29-Jan-14 15:55:32

The south west! Partic New Mexico, but also Arizona and Utah.

Muddiboots Wed 29-Jan-14 15:57:56

is Arizona going to be stupid hot in late june/early july?
Thanks for all ideas so far, will research smile

Yes, Arizona will be very hot (over 100 daily)

HandragsNGladbags Wed 29-Jan-14 16:00:59

San Francisco! You can do LA and Vegas while you are over that side. And Yosemite.

Or (what was) route 66?

SofiaAmes Wed 29-Jan-14 16:01:53

Do some of the National Parks like Yellowstone, Mesa, Zion, Yosemite....The drives are super long in between, but the landscape is AMAZING. Plenty of Walmarts and middle america....

HandragsNGladbags Wed 29-Jan-14 16:03:34

Or you can do a railway tour through the Rockies - SIL did it last year and her pics are incredible.

SorrelForbes Wed 29-Jan-14 16:03:56

Hawaii?

CosyTeaBags Wed 29-Jan-14 16:05:28

South Carolina! Gorgeous culture and history, visit the old plantation houses, see alligators, and there must be beaches around there too.

SolomanDaisy Wed 29-Jan-14 16:05:35

Chicago is really fun and has city beaches.

mummymeister Thu 30-Jan-14 08:24:44

we are going to Canada. have a huge amount of info on it. 3 teenagers who love the outdoors. masses to do - Vancouver, Vancouver island, sunshine coast, the rockies, Calgary stampede. weather wont be stupidly hot either. alternatively, florida keys is very different from the rest of florida. our teens say it was their best ever holiday.

Rosa Thu 30-Jan-14 08:34:47

Canada ...Into Vancouver and drive up the Valleys chill time by a lake . I went when I was 12 /13 and I still remember it it was a great holiday !

chemenger Costa Rica Thu 30-Jan-14 08:40:43

Seattle and the islands in Washington state. Seattle is my favourite city in the US, great shopping and food, museum of popular music, science centre, Space Needle. There are fantastic beaches on the islands (of the quiet scenic type rather than the resort type and the water is unbelievably cold) and loads of outdoor activities, white water rafting, hiking, ferry trips, boat trips.

OlyRoller Netherlands Thu 30-Jan-14 08:41:51

Another vote for Seattle.

RedRevision Thu 30-Jan-14 08:46:21

San Francisco.
So many options there ....from there, including doing the afore-mentioned coastal drive down to LA.

Chopchopbusybusy Thu 30-Jan-14 08:49:57

New Mexico, Arizona and Utah and the mud west in general. Yes it will be hot but places like the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, lake Powell. Monument valley, petrified forest, Death Valley, meteor crater to name but a few are sights that you just can't see anywhere else. I'd love to do that trip again. We stayed at a nice hotel at lake Powell which would suit the relaxing part of the holiday. Can't remember the name but I don't think there are many. The (only) hotel in Death Valley was also a good spot for a bit if relaxation too.

Patilla Thu 30-Jan-14 08:51:39

I'd second South Carolina. Great beaches, great restaurants, plantations, alligators.

What's not to like?!

chemenger Costa Rica Thu 30-Jan-14 08:52:51

New Mexico and Arizona would be very hot in June/July, we have been in September and it was bearable. Parts of Utah and Colorado, especially high up are Ok. Durango, Colorado would be my favourite there a wild west type town; shop for cowboy boots, go on the steam train, rafting, mountain biking if that is your thing. Mesa Verde national park is close and very interesting. Lots of options for road trips to and from Durango.
Moab in Utah is fantastic if you like spectacular desert scenery, we were there in July last time and it was very, very hot, well over 100F all day and the sun is very strong, the dry heat does make it more manageable.

AveryJessup Thu 30-Jan-14 08:54:26

What about the Pacific Northwest e. g. Portland and Seattle? Portland is gorgeous, a great city with parks and a fantastic foodie scene. It's pretty warm in the summer. Seattle is more British in its climate but really worth a visit.

There are beaches up along the coast north of Portland and lots of mountains too for scenic hikes and so on. We went there at Thanksgiving last year and we loved it. Can't wait to go back ...

PestoStormissimos Thu 30-Jan-14 08:54:32

Montana - a ranch holiday with the cowboys!

Apparentlychilled Thu 30-Jan-14 08:56:13

Another vote for Seattle. Cool city, great surrounding countryside. You can go to the San Juan islands and go whale spotting or up to the temperate rain forests or visit Mount St. Helens. It's brilliant and weather will be nice but not silly hot.

SF is likely to be cold and foggy in Aug- I think their nice weather is more like Sept and Oct.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now