New York for 40th

(32 Posts)
Blusmurfette Mon 13-Jan-14 23:00:23

Hi all

DH and I have agreed to have a weekend trip to New York in late Spring for my birthday, child free.

We are debating whether to book our hotel and stay in either Tribeca/ Soho region (DH choice) or near Times Square/ Central Park areas.

Where would be best to really experience New York? I'm not fussy about noise but as we're only there for a few days we want to see as many landmarks as possible, not to mention the nightlife.

Any reasonably priced hotel recommendations gratefully received too, thanks!

PuggyMum Mon 13-Jan-14 23:02:26

We stayed at the element Times Square. Central. Modern and a good rate per night when we went last November.

We also stayed at the Waldorf Astoria on honeymoon 8 years ago. Loved the oldie worldly feel for the occasion but wouldn't stay there again.

brandyandsummergloves Mon 13-Jan-14 23:04:10

Hi OP, no useful advice I'm afraid, but marking my place as I'm hoping to go to New York in the Autumn and would also like some recommendations. I'm sure we'll both have a great time smile

ArgyMargy Mon 13-Jan-14 23:06:57

Waldorf is in a great location, but choose the Tower rather than the main bit which is a tad tatty.

Blusmurfette Mon 13-Jan-14 23:10:52

Thanks both of you, puggymum would you say then Times Square better area to stay, what places did you visit if you don't mind me asking?

Brandy I'm looking forward to it, wish I could go for longer! smile

Longdistance Mon 13-Jan-14 23:12:01

We had a studio apartment at 74th West. Booked it through a company called homeaway online. Was very nice, and you couldn't hear any noise. Walking distance to Central Park, 72nd subway just there on Broadway. Though maybe a bit out of where most of the attractions are for a short stay.

Blusmurfette Mon 13-Jan-14 23:13:35

Do you mean The Tower ArgyMargy? Thanks

Blusmurfette Mon 13-Jan-14 23:16:47

Thanks longdistance, can you get round quite easily by foot or subway though? As I would be happy to stay in a studio apartment.

I appreciate all your answers to my stupid naieve questions smile

Seems like you're all suggesting we stay near Times Square Central Park areas.

Thanks

Moggy72 Mon 13-Jan-14 23:17:27

Hi there - I lived in New York for many years. Please don't stay in Times Square - just too touristy. Central Park is nice - close to shops and museums. TriBeCa And soho nice for shopping and if you want to get to downtown areas like Statue of Liberty - but very far from the park.

Budgiegirlbob Mon 13-Jan-14 23:21:14

The Newyorker at 34th and 8th is a good hotel with a great location. It's near the Empire State Buliding and Macys, right on the subway , and easy walking distance from Times Square. It has the Tick Tock Diner underneath, which is great for breakfast!

Any where in midtown would be good location wise

Blusmurfette Mon 13-Jan-14 23:29:09

Thanks both and for recommendation to avoid being in heart of Times Square! Will look at midtown and the newyorker.

What would you say are the must sees whilst we are there?

Thanks all for your help.

PuggyMum Tue 14-Jan-14 06:26:41

We did warhorse at the Lincoln theatre so got the subway last time but previously we saw Chicago which was on Broadway. Buy tickets on the day from the tkts booth in Times Square. Much cheaper!!

Ground zero (both times).

Central Park / Central Park zoo.

We're more wanderers than planners and just mosied around!

I love New York! Think that's where I'll go for my 40th too.

Jemma1111 Tue 14-Jan-14 06:36:21

We stayed at the hotel Pennsylvania opposite Madison square garden , lovely .

Taking a helicopter trip over new York is a must do !

sleepdodger Tue 14-Jan-14 06:48:00

Would stay in soho every time if buffer no issue
Have been to ny a lot with work and often stay by Central Park (Hudson hotel v trendy minimal place, I love it)
But less easy to pop for dinner than soho
Hotels defo cheaper with flight deal through Expedia etc
Prob £600-850 for 3 nights flight and room pp depending on timing
Have a blast

Ememem84 Tue 14-Jan-14 06:57:16

The andaz on 5th was great. Really central. Great hotel.

Ground zero. Empire State. Pizza in little Italy. And book a table at Benjamin's (off of 5th avenue). Amazing steak house.

NYC has very strict rules on apartment letting and infact practically all such short term lets that you see online are illegal. Many people have been scammed as well. You will therefore need to stay in a hotel.

Marriott Marquis on Times Square is nice. Would stay in the Times Square area.

Moggy72 Tue 14-Jan-14 17:30:02

Must dos in new york:
I would stick to one area each day.

Downtown
Statue of Liberty - if you want to go up into the crown I think you need to pre-book but otherwise just enjoy the boat ride and walking around the island.

Walk across Brooklyn Bridge

Eat brunch on a saturday or sunday somewhere cool like Pastis in the Meat packing district

Visit Chelsea Piers

Visit South Street Seaport

Mid town
Go up the Empire State building

Vist Grand Central

Up town
Lincoln Centre

Central Park - walking around and soaking up the atmosphere but definitely go to the Zoo.

Museum of Natural History

Shopping - for bargains go to Century 21 (downtown)...but will have to dig around for best buys (can be overwhelming). Otherwise prefer Bloomingdales...probably wouldn't bother with Macys.
Lots of cool shops and boutiques in Soho and Meat packing district.

Blusmurfette Tue 14-Jan-14 21:31:37

Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice, it's making me want to go now! X

Blusmurfette Tue 14-Jan-14 21:33:01

Actually, one last thing...what's the weather like in Spring?

Budgiegirlbob Thu 16-Jan-14 11:48:51

We went in April, the weather could do anything at all quite frankly. The first two days we had driving rain, wind and it was cold, the second two days it was glorious sunshine and 80 degrees!! Pack for all eventualities, and don't worry too much, it's a wonderful city in all weathers.

Budgiegirlbob Thu 16-Jan-14 11:52:08

Oh, and go up the Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Centre, the views are spectacular, much better than the Empire State Building IMO, and it gives a great view of the ESB in all it's glory!

Blusmurfette Thu 16-Jan-14 21:56:36

Thanks budgiegirlbob x

EATmum Thu 16-Jan-14 22:35:43

Went last year for our joint 40ths with our 3DDs - most amazing trip, have a brilliant time! We stayed on a boat with views over Manhattan which were extraordinary. Sadly it has since moved up river away from the city, but it was totally unique. One of my best experiences during our trip was going for a run in Central Park. Just like in every sit-com, it seemed so familiar but special too. Just me, maybe!

hoboken Thu 16-Jan-14 22:39:35

Visit Ellen's Stardust Diner at 1650 Broadway. Singing waiters - great fun!

Blusmurfette Fri 17-Jan-14 16:27:38

Thanks both. Eatmum sounds fabulous staying on a boat! Hoboken singing waiters would be fun too!

I think we're looking at staying just a bit outside midtown now. Possibly near Chinatown/ little Italy area. We want to do the major attractions, would a NY fastpass/ city pass be advantageous?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now