ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Sout Africa - Cape Town

(29 Posts)
ruby1234 Sun 22-Dec-13 16:05:27

MY DS is in the military and has been picked to go on a cricket tour to Cape Town next year. We are hoping to go and be able to watch him play, together with seeing some of the local area while we are there.
Don't know much about SA at all - we are planning to go for 2 weeks or so, like nice hotels etc.

Any ideas welcome!

blueberrycupcake Mon 06-Jan-14 13:21:12

I love Cape Town. One of the best places I've ever visited.
I stayed in an apartment at Camps Bay. There are lots of lovely restaurants and cafés along the Camps Bay waterfront.
I'd recommend hiring a car. We drove to the cape of good hope and also to the vineyards (Franchook). We also went on a safari for a couple of days in the Aquila game reserve and visited the vineyards on our way back.

The water is better in SA than England!

Kalk Bay for the Harbour Tavern - fresh fish, amazing sea views, as in glass walls overhanging rocks with seals. Saw whales breach last time!

MillyMollyMama Mon 06-Jan-14 15:59:39

I agree there is so much to see and do within about 1-2 hours drive of Capetown. Chapmans Peak is a must as well as the beach towns such as Camps Bay. Love Stellenbosch and Franschoek in the winelands which are only about 45 minutes drive from Cape Town. Lots of wine estates open for tasting and some have restaurants. Particularly recommend Tokara as a great wine estate and lunch venue plus Constantia in the Cape region. Many have web sites. We stayed at Four Rosmead in Cape Town (and another one but I forget the name right now) but would recommend you look at the Greenwood Guide to South Africa books for recommended guesthouses, or Trip Advisor. So many are absolutely wonderful places to stay. Knysna on the Garden Route is extremely attractive as is the Klein Karoo and the Swartberg Pass/Prince Albert area.

Always know exactly where you are going in South Africa and do not go into townships or shanty towns. Do not ask random people where to go. Get directions and advice from the guest house owner. This is the big advantage of a guest house over a hotel I think. They are smaller, personal and usually lovely.

Game reserves in the Cape or Garden route are private reserves and not the same as Kruger. Quite a lot are converted farms with animals reintroduced. However, viewing animals is good but not completely natural. Usually malaria free though. I prefer Kruger or Sabi Sands but I recommend you do not try and do too much in one visit as the distances are huge. Have a great trip.

Mabelandrose Thu 16-Jan-14 20:33:22

Hire a sat nav if you are driving around in a hire car. The roads can be very scary and as others have said, you don't want to be pulling over for directions or to get a map out.

Enjoy. I love SA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now