ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Is the Maldives offer far better snorkelling than the Red Sea?

(5 Posts)
ranoutofnames Sat 14-Dec-13 20:56:21

It's so much more expensive (and time consuming) to travel to the Maldives than the Red Sea. Is it worth it?

SoftSheen Sat 14-Dec-13 21:00:39

I have never been to the Red Sea but snorkelling in the Maldives is absolutely breathtaking. Every time you put your head under water it is like immersing yourself in a wildlife documentary. Truly pristine.

MOSagain Sun 15-Dec-13 08:40:32

Well it will really depend where in Maldives and red sea. I have dived and snorkelled a number of times at Bandos resort in the Maldives which has an amazing house reef. I have also dived and snorkelled in hurghada and eilat which were not as good but friends who have been to Sharm say it is amazing

DowntonTrout Sun 15-Dec-13 09:05:31

Oh I've been to Bandos too MOS

The two are quite different, neither necessarily better. Many of the reefs in the Maldives have died or been badly damaged and are not the same as they were some years ago. It does depend which island and I would recommend you check out on trip advisor where is still good. The more pristine reefs on the islands in the further afield atolls may be better. ( if I remember rightly, Bandos is an island in the middle of the North Male atoll and was protected somewhat from the worst of the damage, the outer islands were hit worse.)

The area around Sharm and Ras Mohammed offers brilliant snorkelling. The water is colder so not as pleasant. You will have to walk out to the reefs on floating jetties so as not to damage the coral. The drop offs beyond the reefs are not as breathtaking but the coral is very, very good.

I'm speaking as a diver, but still do lots of snorkelling. My Favorite place in the world is the Maldives, and if money were no object I would pick there every time. Saying that, we have had 6 holidays to Sharm, because it's a 1/4 of the price, the hotels and weather are fantastic, the diving and snorkelling world class, just stay away from Sharm centre as its like Blackpool and you are constantly hassled.

ranoutofnames Sun 15-Dec-13 12:25:12

Hi, thanks for the replies. I should have added that I have snorkelled in Marsa Alam in Egypt and thought it was amazing - much better than I've experienced in Australia, Thailand etc. To make it worthwhile travelling all the way to the Maldives and the extra £££, I'd want something way better.

Not sure from the replies if it will offer that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now