Inspiration please for special longhaul trip

(30 Posts)
smartiepantsgirl Sat 23-Nov-13 22:21:16

Dh and I are looking to take our 2 ds (age 9 and 5) away next winter for a family celebration. Ideally like a beach break with a city stop off on the way back. Happy to go longhaul. Any recommendations?

smartiepantsgirl Sun 08-Dec-13 09:47:06

Thanks so much everyone. Great info! Interestingly I met a couple this week who also had similar things to say about Thailand. As the dc are still quite young perhaps we'll look elsewhere for now. There sounds like some amazing places to go there but think I'd prefer somewhere we could get to more directly to avoid connecting flights/boats at the other end. Any Caribbean advice? smile

TravelLocal Mon 09-Dec-13 10:40:41

I would go along with Thailand - Phuket isn't that great these days, but Khao Lak is much quieter and driving distance from Phuket airport.

Thailand has a great depth of supply - as long as you don't leave it too late you won't have trouble getting a room at a hotel and location that you're happy with.

Inland from Khao Lak you have Khao Sok National Park, which is a great way to see some local scenery and wildlife, and dovetails nicely with the beach.

You can fly via Bangkok, but also Singapore if you prefer the idea of that. Singapore is very well set up for kids.

dontyouknow Tue 10-Dec-13 14:23:03

Please don't be put off Thailand. I have been several times, and two of those with a young child.

Bangkok has lots for children. There is a great aquarium in the shopping district. The grand palace and main temples are good - 5 year old DD loved Wat Po with the huge reclining Budda! Boat trips along the river are also fun.

We went to Cha-am (near Hua Hin) a couple of hours down the coast as we didn't want to have another flight. There are lots of things to do with children in the area (national parks with waterfalls and caves, water parks, elephants etc).

We have also been to Malaysai - Kuala Lumpar and Penang with 18 month old DD. KL is nice enough for a few days. Penang was really good as there were lots of things to do as half day trips with a child.

Also been to Sri Lanka a few times, once with DD aged 2. I would avoid Colombo as there isn't much to do there, so it probably wouldn't fit into your beach and city break idea! We just had a fortnight on the beach and did day trips. Although if you fly emirates you could maybe have a few nights in Dubai on the way back?

Oh dear, DD is sounding very spoilt with holidays..... We love travelling and SE Asia in particular! Just waiting until 8 month old DS is a little older so we can go back to Thailand. Next year maybe!

I think Singapore and Bali as others say would also be a good option (Only been without children myself though).

If you're not too bothered about the city break then how about Goa? Lots to do with children.

Eastwickwitch Wed 18-Dec-13 09:19:12

smartie, I've taken DC to the Caribbean several times but I don't think I could find you a city break.

AnandaTimeIn Sun 23-Feb-14 23:39:23

I'm resurrecting this thread cos I was looking for threads about Kerala..... So any up-to-date info on that is welcome! smile

OP asked for any Caribbean advice....

I could recommend Cuba, but the food leaves a lot to be desired, especially in the AI. The private restaurants are getting better and better tho I hear.

Dominican Republic is great too. Beautiful nature and beaches, great people and culture and you can go whale watching around March in
Samaná.

Would definately recommend Jamaica. Amazing nature, great beaches, fabulous culture and people, I went once with my then 20 month-old. I even managed to go out to a reggae concert and have a babysitter come into and stay in the hotel room/balcony, tv and all that, till I got home.

Lots to do too for older children in Jamaica too. Snorkelling, learn to Scuba dive, horse riding (in the sea too!), dolphin swimming, zip lining thru the trees, etc.

All those places adore children. They are very welcomed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now