toronto and ontario

(13 Posts)
Homebird11 Thu 21-Nov-13 19:10:49

We have to go Toronto for a family wedding next summer so want to make a holiday of it. What do we not want to miss? DH loves walking and wildlife so we would like to get out of the city, but don't know where to start.

Dogonabeanbag Thu 21-Nov-13 19:51:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RustyHalo Thu 21-Nov-13 19:55:04

Niagra Falls & Niagra on the Lake - couple of hours by car or train & well worth a visit.

Purplerunner Sat 23-Nov-13 20:08:25

Yes, Niagra Falls isn't too far and worth a visit. Also, we loved the ROM if you enjoy museums and you can get a wee ferry over to the Islands for a wander round which is lovely. Brilliant place to visit, would love to go back.

Homebird11 Thu 28-Nov-13 16:45:28

Thanks for the suggestions, we will drive to niagara for the day and are looking for somewhere to stay near the national park dogona suggested.

Our relatives, suggested going to Buffalo in New York state to go shopping, but not too sure how the visa would work on the crossing into the US. We've heard tales that it can take hours.

Chippingnortonset123 Thu 28-Nov-13 16:46:49

I only clicked on this because I thought they were baby names.

weebarra Thu 28-Nov-13 16:52:23

Algonquin is great. We went wild camping and kayaking there with a company called Call of the Wild who were very good.

WorkInProgress Thu 28-Nov-13 17:10:28

When are you going? Algonquin suffers from midges and blackfiies in May /June. Worse than Scottish Highlands !!

weebarra Thu 28-Nov-13 17:27:16

that's true about the black flies, DH was massively bitten and I'm scottish so I know my midges!

Homebird11 Thu 28-Nov-13 18:36:00

We will going at the end of aug, is that still fly season? I get bitten by everything, so not too keen on that idea.
I do like the idea of wild camping, though the thought of the moose and bears may not cheer DH up. I'll take a look at call of the wild, thanks.

WorkInProgress Thu 28-Nov-13 18:52:23

I don't think they are around in August but do check, the midges did ruin our trip to Algonquin ( it looked like it would be great without them and we did see moose). We loved Niagara, Toronto and Ontario ( and we are normally outdoorsy holiday people).

lessonsintightropes Tue 31-Dec-13 16:01:52

Niagara Falls is great - Maid of the Mist is very memorable and of course don't forget the wine wine!

springlamb Sun 05-Jan-14 17:04:13

We RVed around Ontario a few years back. Algonquin is marvellous, there are a few campsites just off the main through road, we stayed at the one at Mew Lake. Walking is great with trails around beaver dams and Canadian canoe trips.
KoA sites are good too. They have cabins and you can hire a basic camping pack to cook etc.
Beyond Niagara you could get down to the Great Lakes too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now