New York with kids at christmas / New year

(6 Posts)
smilesandsun Thu 21-Nov-13 09:22:04

Hi,

What are your must do activities in New York at christmas / New year? I want to make sure we see everything and keep the kids entertained.

thx

Iwaswatchingthat Thu 21-Nov-13 09:30:38

watching with interest as this is something I would like to do with my dds.

Oh actually, what I will say is that although I have not been to NYC with kids I have been at Christmas and it is FREEZING!!! Indescribably so!

There is nothing between you and the Canadian cold so wrap them up really warm.

Comfortable shoes are an absolute must. You will walk all day long.

Oh and the Rockerfeller tree is amazing!

Iwaswatchingthat Thu 21-Nov-13 09:31:49

Ps don't bother with the Statue of Liberty. You can see it adequately from the statton island ferry. No need to go onto the island.

I would also try and see the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall because they put on a great Christmas show. Another place I would visit is the Rockefeller Plaza at the Rockefeller Center.

The big ToysRUs store at Times Square is also worth visiting.

I would second the advice given to wrap up warm and wear comfortable shoes; it can be extremely cold there in December generally speaking.

Budgiegirlbob Thu 21-Nov-13 13:42:54

Ice skating either at the Rockefeller Center, Bryant Park, or Central Park is great fun for the kids.

ToysRus is fun, or even better is FAO Schwarz on 5th Ave, they've got the floor piano from the movie Big, and give demos on it, and the kids get to have a go.

Dylans Candy Store brought out the big kid in me!

And if your children are, or were, into Winnie the Pooh, the original Pooh Bear, Eeyore et al are on display in the Public Library - it was the highlight of my trip, but I'm quite sentimental.

There are some lovely Christmas markets, at Bryant Park and in Grand Central, but I'm not sure if they run through to New Year.

HomeHelpMeGawd Thu 21-Nov-13 14:15:26

We've just come back from a trip without DCs, and we noticed that there are a ton of really fantastic children's shows on at the moment.

www.timeout.com/new-york-kids/theater-for-kids

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now