Singapore in December with a 3-year-old

(6 Posts)
PiratePanda Wed 20-Nov-13 14:27:11

DS aged 3 1/2 and I will be in Singapore for 10 days just before Christmas. My parents eill be coming to look after him while I work during the day but I'll be free in the evenings and weekends.

Does anyone have any recommendations for fun things to do? I know about the major attractions (zoo, museums, Sentosa island) but I'm interested in one-off events, festivals, concerts, exhibitions, etc happening in December. We're interested in culture, history, arts, design, religion, food...not so much shopping. smile

Also, we'll be self catering. Any recommendations for supermarkets near Bencoolen St (happy to taxi there and back) gratefully received.

Thanks!

PiratePanda Wed 20-Nov-13 17:38:53

specialsubject Wed 20-Nov-13 19:41:41

just wondering why on earth you would want to self-cater in Singapore! you probably want some snacks handy and maybe breakfast, but beyond that - hawker centres, food courts, job done.

sigh. Smiling just thinking about Singapore food!

PiratePanda Wed 20-Nov-13 21:15:45

Because it's going to be cheaper for four people, only one of whom (me) can claim expenses. Anyway, that's irrelevant to the question I asked.

December is lovely in Singapore! Lots of Xmas stuff for the kids.

Visit Marina Bay Sands if you can. It really is something!
For kids, shop at United Square (Novena MRT) for you, Orchard Road. There are so many malls though spread all over. Bugis is a nice area (shopping, food, big public pool and huge library)

I do food shopping at Giant. It's a big shop that sells food, clothes, toys etc and is cheap (for Singapore)

I agree with pp about hawker centers. You can get a good meal for $3-$5 and lots of choices.

Just looked which area Bencoolen Str is and you are in a nice area.

Good (cheap) food at the Rocher center, food court in Bras Basah, food court in shopping mall next to Bugis MRT and nice stuff to behind Bras Basah.

There is a supermarket in the mall (basement)....along with a fabulous chain called 12 Cupcakes! In Aug, they even had nutella cupcakes. They were only available for Aug/Sep, though.sad You can also find Toast Box, McD's, Starbucks, Pasta Mania and lots more.

One little warning, that area is not good for wifi. If you need wifi, J cool donuts (basement level in the mall) has wifi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now