Please suggest an itinerary for a trip to Thailand with young kids

(13 Posts)
Gurraun Sun 10-Nov-13 16:19:29

We are planning a trip to Thailand for somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5 weeks, setting off around end of November and returning just before Christmas (incredibly last minute to take advantage of dh's sudden garden leave).

We will be taking our 3.5 yr old and 4 month old. I have never been and my husband only as a backpacker. Could any knowledgable people suggest a child friendly itinerary? I would like to include a visit to the Bridge over the River Kwai (gf was a pow and worked on it), Chang Mai (elephant sanctuary) and a beach. We have a reasonable budget and would like a bit of comfort. We will fly to/from Bangkok and would like to avoid malaria areas.

Also how available/expensive are nappies and formula milk (baby mixed fed) and do most hotels have travel cots? Anything else I should consider when travelling with young kids?

Fairyloo Sun 10-Nov-13 17:54:38

Bumping for you as got similar dilemma

Gurraun Sun 10-Nov-13 19:09:21

Finger crossed somebody helps us! I am wondering if whilst in the region (sort of) I could visit Vietnam too.

Come on SE Asia experts, help us out!

LonelyGoatherd Mon 11-Nov-13 18:51:25

We spent a lazy/easy couple of weeks in Ao Nang with 11mo DD. V family friendly resort, but your itinerary sounds more exciting and similar to a pre-DC trip grin.
How about flying into BK and then flying to Koh samui for a week on the beach, flying back to BK and getting the train to the River Kwai - a couple of days relaxing there. Then flying from BK to Chiang Mai for a week - the elephant sanctuary is great, as are the cooking schools. Of course you could do the week up north first, then end on the beach.
As far as I remember, all these areas are low risk for malaria.
We found that most hotels had travel cots, nappies and wipes were easy to buy, but we took our own formula (aptamil cartons) as DD was only on one or two a day by this stage.

LonelyGoatherd Mon 11-Nov-13 18:52:06

Oh, not sure about Vietnam, but Laos would be easily accessible. And Cambodia, but not sure how child-friendly that would be.
Am so jealous!

monopoly123 Mon 11-Nov-13 20:18:39

My children were 6 & 3.5 when we went to Thailand for a month. Heres what we did - We flew from Malaysia to Phuket, day trip to Koh (argh can't remember, the beach one) - found Phuket interesting but very touristy. We flew across to Koh Samui, liked it there, nice balance but still quite built up, then boat to Koh Phagnan - not so keen even tho it was less touristy than Koh Samui (but maybe because I was a bit unwell? Can't put my finger on exactly why I didn't enjoy it so much). Then we flew from Koh Samui to Bangkok. Loved Bangkok! Overnight train to Chiang Mai which was brilliant, big sleeping compartment, easy with the kids. Chiang Mai was my favourite place in Thailand.

Gurraun Tue 12-Nov-13 18:00:23

Thanks all :-)

specialsubject Wed 13-Nov-13 12:43:36

Koh Lanta from Phuket? Lovely island.

remember that Thailand, like anywhere tropical, is a dengue zone. You need DEET to be worn 24/7.

Koh Phagnan is the full moon party island so be careful when and where you visit. Some people apparently enjoy a sea that is 80% urine but it's not my idea of fun!

Rojak Mon 18-Nov-13 10:03:46

You could go island hopping around the islands of south western Thailand - Phuket, Phi Phi, Ko Lanta, Ko Lipe.

Ko Samui & Ko Phangan will be experiencing the monsoon until about March so wouldn't be great (rain and occasional flooding).

Head up to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai (it will be a nice time to visit climate-wise) and there's elephant camps, treks, markets, hill tribes etc.

You can get cheap flights on Airasia out of Bangkok and head to Siem Reap in Cambodia for 4 days to explore the temples?

Rojak Mon 18-Nov-13 10:06:55

Re: nappies and formula - Thailand has Tesco and Boots, lots of them but the nappy / formula brands might be Asian brands or global brands tweaked for Asia.

kashoph Tue 17-Dec-13 23:34:55

Sounds great! I'm going to Thailand in January with my 9 year old for 4 weeks. Can you update on where you went and how you found it with kids?

sooperdooper Tue 17-Dec-13 23:40:56

I was on Thailand earlier this year, if you're in Chiagn Mai go to the Elephant Nature Park elephant sanctuary, it's the most beautiful place where they take rescued elephants from street beggars and tourist trap rides, you can stay there in lovely bungalows, best place to see, feed and meet elephants, don't go anywhere you ride them, the way it's trained is do cruel

BeyondRepair Sat 26-Apr-14 14:02:15

any update op on how your trip went,,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now