City/town trip to USA for new year, recommendations please.

(8 Posts)
Smugfearnleyshittingstool Sun 03-Nov-13 16:33:37

Dp and I are fortunate enough to have a week from boxing day free for a few days/ week away without any kids!
Ive been to NYC, Orlando, San Francisco and LA, dp has never been to America.
We don't mind hot or cold weather, but want a nice atmosphere and a good place to spend NY. Any ideas?

Chicago!

mummymeister Mon 04-Nov-13 14:49:33

Florida keys. stay near the top. fly into Miami use your satnav and get to Islamorada. then for NYE either stay there and have a smaller get together with the locals or go large and head for Key west. the weather is perfect loads to do and I love it there.

joydivisionovengloves Mon 04-Nov-13 16:18:59

I'll second Chicago. Went last year at that time, it was cold but brilliant.

Alliballi Tue 05-Nov-13 01:35:28

Charleston, SC

andadietcoke Tue 05-Nov-13 02:13:29

I've done Vegas, NYC and New Orleans for NYE...

Vegas - we combined Vegas with 3 nights in LA. Saw a bit of SoCal then flew for about $50 each to Vegas. Hired a car and did the Grand Canyon and spent the rest of the time mooching around the strip. We don't really gamble but it was fun to people watch. On NYE they close the strip to cars and have fireworks on 9 of the hotels along the strip so you have a great view wherever you are.

I hated NYC. We wanted to be in Times Square but didn't want to wait all day so we bought tickets to a party at TGIs. It was fine but midnight itself was very over crowded and stressful.

New Orleans - we had a road trip starting in Houston and staying at Biloxi, Pensacola Beach before driving to NOLA. We took in Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama and Florida and ate our way around. NYE we hung out in Jackson Square and watched the fleur de lys drop, then watched the fireworks on the Mississippi.

Best NYE? Vegas - it was just 'easy' and not too stressful/overcrowded

Best trip? The Deep South. We saw so much and although on paper it looks like we did a lot of driving it was only a max of a couple of hours a day.

SconeRhymesWithGone United States Tue 05-Nov-13 02:22:33

Come to the South. You could see both Charleston and Savannah in one week. Most of the hotels will have special celebrations for the New Year.

Smugfearnleyshittingstool Tue 05-Nov-13 09:30:11

Great,thanks for replies, lots of great suggestions, off to look up flights etc! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now