North India - clothing

(4 Posts)
carlajean Mon 28-Oct-13 21:44:00

I agree with getting a salwar kameez made when you get there - so comfortable, and cheap

MrTumblesKnickers Mon 28-Oct-13 13:52:44

Yes, definitely buy the salwar kameez. You can get them made extremely cheaply and you'll find they're cooler than anything you will have. The scarf is handy if you visit temples (covering your hair).

I received lots of compliments from people (espeically middle aged women) saying I looked like "an Indian lady"! I think you get a bit more respect as you don't look like the average scruffy backpacker.

Buy a salwar kameez on your first day there and you will love it: comfy (drawstring and easy for toilet), fits in with local culture, you don't show too much and there are a million to choose from.

I have used mine so many times in countries where it was not acceptable to show calves/decollete/arms, etc.

ShineyBlackShoes Sun 27-Oct-13 19:10:04

Hi,
Travelling around North India next Easter and intend to visit temples as well as tourist spots. Any ideas on clothing beyond t-shirts rather than vest tops, long skirts and a pashmina.
I am assuming toilets are basic so am guessing sandals over flip flops, but I may take my she-wee.
Any tips gratefully received (and I will be taking a lot of anti-bacterial wipes and hand sanitiser)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now