Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Anyone got a Disney/Florida Holiday Planned Part 2

(600 Posts)
Groovee Thu 03-Oct-13 16:36:43
LucasNorthsTwiglets Tue 31-Mar-15 14:55:44

Hi Poetnojo, we are going this October too! Can't help with hotels as I'm afraid as we always stay in a villa. October is a lovely time of year to go!

Poetnojo Tue 31-Mar-15 13:01:39

Great thread!
We have booked our flights, 15 nights this October, we are 3 adults and 2 kids, we want to stay in a suite on idrive, can't decide between Westgate palace or homewood suites IDrive.
Have any of you stayed in either of these places? If so, would you recommend them?
Saw a good price on veneer.com, have any of you booked hotel through them?
Sorry for all the questions!

LucasNorthsTwiglets Tue 31-Mar-15 10:56:07

Congrats, Sweetpeas! Have you booked a package or DIY? We are thinking of going next August too but we always book DIY and the flights are £silly at the moment. I'm really nervous of the heat & humidity though as have never been at that time before - how did you cope last summer?

Ilikesweetpeas Tue 31-Mar-15 09:16:49

Just booked for August 2016! Am so excited, went last summer and loved it !

LucasNorthsTwiglets Tue 31-Mar-15 09:07:35

Yay for the ADRs Chesty! Where else did you book for? I only want a few as we'll be counter-service most of the time but I'm hoping for a BOG lunch. I've got a few weeks before I can book mine. That person on the phone sounded very rude!

ChestyNut Mon 30-Mar-15 20:01:49

Hi all

Have just booked our first ADRs <yay>
Tried doing it through MDE but just kept getting an error try again box. So I rang up and spoke to a guy to book over the phone. I wanted Tusker house but he kept saying yes Akershus. I told him I wanted Tusker house and heard him muttering under his breath "I don't know what your talking about"
angry

Not the kind of service you expect from the employees of the happiest place in the world. angry

BloodyDogHairs Fri 27-Mar-15 08:17:45

I've stayed in villas at Calabay Park, Town Center and Highlands reserve. All very nice.

We're staying in Reunion which I've never been to before but it looks quite secure and there's a hotel with restaurants on the site.

LucasNorthsTwiglets Thu 26-Mar-15 14:06:31

I really recommend Oak Island harbour for villa location (or Formosa Gardens - it's the same area, really).

TheWildRumpyPumpus Thu 26-Mar-15 12:29:19

Hello all! We've just decided to go to Disney sometime in 2016 - I'm reading through the threads but don't know where to start!

We will have to go in school holidays but otherwise not fussed as to when. I think we will stay in a villa but, again, don't know where to start looking or which areas to consider.

Give me your tips please!

One room at the Beach Club without a doubt! The Beach Club is walking distance to Epcot and a short boat or longer walk to Hollywood Studios. It has an amazing pool and also the Boardwalk is right across from it!

Loletta Wed 25-Mar-15 19:25:46

Another dilemma: it costs the same to stay at the Beach Club all in one room than at the Caribbean Beach in two rooms. Which one would you go for? Two rooms in s moderate or one room in a deluxe??

LucasNorthsTwiglets Wed 25-Mar-15 11:38:58

Two nights should give you plenty of time to see everything in both parks as long as you get there at the start of the first day and not the evening. You can go as early as you like and leave your luggage at the hotel then check in when you've finished at the park. If you have plenty of tiem and can afford another day then I'd go for 3 nights personally but 2 should be plenty. We always find that we need 3 days to cover both parks but then we do everything there. Have a look at various websites to check prices as it really varies. One year I booked it was cheaper through the official Loews website but this year it was cheaper through hotels.com - don't forget cashback! I've not stayed in any of the other Universal hotels so can't compare but Hard Rock is also very popular. RPR is the cheapest of the hotels that get you the free express passes and we really loved it there. It has a relaxing feel and is good for young children - older children/teens might prefer Hard Rock though? (I thought it looked a bit noisy!)

You hvae to buy park tickets separately for Universal - I'd recommend Atttraction Tickets Direct and Florida Tix (for Disney tickets too, if they aren't incuded with your hotel room). Again - remember cashback!

Loletta Wed 25-Mar-15 10:03:53

Thank you for the replies!
Do you suggest 2 or 3 nights at the Royal Pacific and what is the best/cheapest website to buy the hotel nights and park tickets? Expedia or official website?

LucasNorthsTwiglets Wed 25-Mar-15 08:12:54

I don't do beaches in Florida (too muich else to do!) so can't comment on that but I'm totally with DogHairs on the thumbs up! I was going to suggest an onsite Universal hotel actually - if you stay in their hotels (not Cabana Bay) then you get Express Passes included for each day you visit - these are fantastic as you get to the front of the line on pretty much every ride (not Harry Potter though). And as it's often cheaper to book a hotel and get the free passes than it is to just buy the passes, it's a no-brainer. I thoroughly recommend the Royal Pacific Resort smile We're staying in a villa but are still havign 2 nights onsite at Universal; it's wonderful.

BloodyDogHairs Tue 24-Mar-15 17:29:40

Defo thumbs up grin

I've never stayed at a Disney resort but your plan sounds great.

Loletta Tue 24-Mar-15 17:02:09

Wow thanks for your reply
I was up until 1 am last night reading up about it, I couldn't stop! So after all that reading I'm thinking of only 6 nights in a Disney Resort, 3 night at one of the Loews Universal hotels and 4 to 5 nights at the beach in Tampa sonewhere
Thumbs up or down? grin

LucasNorthsTwiglets Tue 24-Mar-15 09:26:26

Just changed my coutndown calendar chalkboard thingy from 200 days to 199 - that felt GOOD smile

Hi Loletta! Your first trip - how exciting! I've never stayed onsite so can't advise about the dining plan, I'm afraid - head over to the Dibb where they know EVERYTHING smile I do know that they offer free dining plans sometimes so that would really be worth waiting for if the dates suited you as that would save you a ton of money.

You don't need a hrie car at all if you're only planning to do Disney parks. But you might want a car if you intend to visit other parks. There is some public transport but I'm not sure how easy it is - again, The Dibb.

Fastpasses I can answer smile They are only for Disney parks (not waterparks) and you can choose 3 a day. This is something that can be left until much nearer the time (you can't book until 60 days before you go) but it's quite easy - you set yourself up a My Disney Experience account and can book them on there. We can talk you through that nearer the time.

As for unmissable parks, you really need to have a read up about them to see what you personally think you'd like as it's a case of 'one man's meat'. For example, a lot of people rave about Animal Kingdom but I'd happily miss that one as find it quite boring. Likewise, a lot of people say that Hollywood Studios is the one to miss if you don't have time to do them all but that's a must-do for me! Briefly though:

Magic Kingdom - something for everyone. Not to be missed.

EPCOT - Probably more for older kids and adults? Split into 2 areas - one is a replica of different countries so prob boring for little ones (very few rides), other area has a few rides but not much for little ones. No thrill rides in the whole park.

Hollywood Studios - movie-themed rides and a few shows. Two of the best rides in Disney (Toy Story Midway Mania & Star Tours!)

Blizzard Beach & Typhoon Lagoon - water parks, something for all ages.

Animal Kingdom - safari park/zoo with a few rides.

Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure - Contrary to popular belief, something for everyone. Lots of thrill rides but also good play areas for little ones. The Harry Potter place!

Busch Gardens - animals and rollercoasters. Like Animal Kingdom but far more intense rides.

SeaWorld - does what it says on the tin smile

Loletta Mon 23-Mar-15 22:13:12

I'm about to book for WDW! Super exciting! We've never been. I'm going to start by asking a couple of questions:
- would you go for a dining plan
- do we need to hire a car if we're staying in a Disney hotel
- which parks are unmissable
- fast passes how to make the most of them
Hope it's not too many questions Thanks in advance!

BloodyDogHairs Sun 22-Mar-15 19:48:32

The smell as you walk out to collect the hire car is amazing too!!

LucasNorthsTwiglets Sun 22-Mar-15 19:37:40

I love that feeling of heat too! The first time we ever went it really panicked me - I'm not good with heat and I remember thinking if it's this hot at 6pm, what on Earth will it be like at noon?! But then I realised that it's easy to cool down there, with aircon everywhere, so I love that 'we#re in Florida' blast of heat now smile

*earlier = yesterday afternoon confused

Me too, I walked out of Tesco earlier and just imagined that hot lovely air that hits when walking out of the supermarkets there, it makes putting the trolley back a happier experience grin. Have a brilliant time!

BloodyDogHairs Sat 21-Mar-15 21:36:23

4 days!! wish it was me smile

annadina Sat 21-Mar-15 18:20:44

I'd forgotten all about this thread - was on it last year, and we're going again this year in 4 days time! Have finished the excited about it stage, and have now entered the 'oh fuck, lots of things to do before we go' phase. Can't wait to get off that plane and feel the heat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now