Anyone got a Disney/Florida Holiday Planned Part 2

(831 Posts)
Groovee Thu 03-Oct-13 16:36:43
nikki1978 Mon 27-Apr-15 12:56:42

Friends of mine flew indirect recently and said it was a nightmare with tired children, running around airports and nearly missing flights. Its certainly a good option for those needing to save money but I personally couldn't be dealing with it.

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 26-Apr-15 18:13:06

I have heard good reports of savings flying indirect, but I don't fancy it. Also wouldn't fancy using a US carrier.

chairmeoh Sun 26-Apr-15 14:54:19

We flew indirect and saved about £1k. Flew with American airlines, booked through Expedia. 2 adults, 1 child.
It was a bit hairy on the way out as we only had a short window to transfer to the second flight during which time we had to collect out luggage and re-check it in, as well as the inevitable long wait at immigration. But rest went smoothly.
I'm a pretty nervous flyer and would far rather fly direct if we go again (take off and landing are the hits that make me tremble the most).

MozzchopsThirty Sun 26-Apr-15 11:21:26

Haha yes probably, still can't believe I did it smile

BloodyDogHairs Sun 26-Apr-15 10:57:26

mozz.....Did you start a post about driving in Florida? I commented on it if it was you lol tho I've name changed since then.....the superwoman comment rings a bell grin

BloodyDogHairs Sun 26-Apr-15 10:54:33

I'm away shortly and it was £4700ish for 4 adults, 3 children and a infant with Thomsons......flights alone were working out a similar price for us.

MozzchopsThirty Sun 26-Apr-15 10:17:29

I paid about £1200 on top of that for park tickets
So id say £5k all in
It was an amazingly easy trip, I went alone with 3 dcs and felt like superwoman grin

MozzchopsThirty Sun 26-Apr-15 10:15:44

Yes 2 weeks at end of August.
I found it much cheaper to book a package. Booked with Florida 4 Less and wouldn't hesitate to use them again next time.
When I was pricing up some of the flights alone were more than I paid for our entire holiday!

I booked Jan 14 for Aug 14

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 26-Apr-15 00:51:08

Hello again - booked on Thursday for 2017 and our 6th trip.

Already spending an inordinate amount of time on the Dibb!

LucasNorthsTwiglets Sun 26-Apr-15 00:08:54

Lucas, are you saying that £850 is "the norm" for August with Virgin?

No, sadly not sad I was told that £850 as about as low as it's likely to go for direct flights. So it's anything from £850 upwards. This was with Virgin though so I'm not sure about other airlines. I'm afraid I don't really know much about it though - I was just looking at Virgin prices and don't know how they compare to others.

Mozz, wow, that is an amazing price shock That wasn't for 2 weeks, was it?!

Loletta Sat 25-Apr-15 23:22:24

Wow! When did you book the flights to get that brilliant price?

MozzchopsThirty Sat 25-Apr-15 22:41:57

We paid £3800 for August
That was for 2 adults and two children for villa, car hire and flights with BA
Last year!!

BA were great and we were upgraded on both sectors

Loletta Sat 25-Apr-15 21:07:30

I'm not too bothered to fly Virgin but I would much much rather have a direct flight. I would never go for an indirect flight unless it was say half the price. This year (our first time!) I've paid £3,800 with Virgin for 3 adults and 2 children.
Lucas, are you saying that £850 is "the norm" for August with Virgin? That'd be fine. If they quoted me that price now, if go for it. However the prices available now with estate agents are more around £1,200 per adult which is A LOT.
Thomas Cook have released the August prices already and they quoted me £4,950, again that's a lot I think.
What's BA like in terms of prices? Is it competitive?
Trouble is out return flight will have to be Monday 29th which will be a bank holiday so one of the most expensive and busy days.
Lucas, what do you suggest?

LucasNorthsTwiglets Sat 25-Apr-15 18:20:40

Loletta, I've been doing a bit of research on Augsut flights (as we're hoping to go Aug 2016 too). Are you bothered who you fly with? We like to go with Virgin Atlantic and apparently direct August flights aren't much cheaper than £850. Virgin flights for then will be released in September.

Loletta Sat 25-Apr-15 14:42:39

£1,000 per person for direct that is

Loletta Sat 25-Apr-15 14:42:01

I've just booked for August 16 but not the flights. Charter Travel saved me £450 compared to the Disney price so I'm quite pleased smile
AIBU TO chance the cost of the flights until they're officially released? Theyre over £1,000 at the moment

nikki1978 Sat 25-Apr-15 11:03:03

Oh and our virgin holidays pack arrived this morning with all our tickets! 23 days to go now!

nikki1978 Sat 25-Apr-15 11:02:12

We are going on 18th may for 2 weeks and the last weekend in may is memorial day weekend so it will be busy for those 3 days.

MozzchopsThirty Sat 25-Apr-15 09:08:04

Thanks for the May info
I've made some villa enquiries now smile

I've been the last week in April/first week in May then the last week in May and first week June and it was lovely. I don't remember there being too many people, we got into some rides with no queuing. It's a small world is most people's least favourite but it's one of my favourites and it never had a queue when we were there.

I'm off to look for a renewal dress today, very excited!! We almost stayed at the animal kingdom lodge but the cost for vow renewal was so much we decided getting a nice villa and organising it there would be better. still might get Minnie ear veil for the parks

Yes I'm so excited I could burst and now I have the app I've become obsessed with looking at queue times. I have run out of ideas on what to talk about with dh and dm so just ask them if there is anything they would like to talk about to do with Florida?

Is anyone taking any internal flights? I'm a nervous flyer and we're taking one to New York for a day with Delta but I have no experience at all with them, any experiences welcome!!

SwedeDreams Sat 25-Apr-15 06:31:09

That's pretty much what we do, Nikki. Park early, then pool at hotel, then out again for the evening. A whole day is too much!

May sounds a great time to go- I bet the weather is lovely then. And star wars thrown in! I have only done Feb, and so far been lucky- but I know it could easily be cold!

LucasNorthsTwiglets Fri 24-Apr-15 23:27:50

Hi Mozzchops, we went in May last year and there were no holidays that I recall. It was a great time to visit - Star Wars Weekends are fantastic if that's your thing.

This shows you May crowds

Nikki, we are the same - I love the idea of rope drop for parks, back to villa for pool time and a rest in the middle of the day then back out to parks in the evening but same as you - staying in a villa means it's usually just too much hassle to go back.

MozzchopsThirty Fri 24-Apr-15 21:00:54

Has anyone been in May hols and week before or after?
Does it clash with any US holidays?

Was hoping to do August again but ds1 starts high school in September so no room to come back a few days late

nikki1978 Fri 24-Apr-15 19:31:33

Sounds like fun swede smile We are staying in a villa as my parents like to get away from disney for some quiet time and they are paying so they get the final say! The downside of staying offsite is that when we leave for the day it feels like to much hassle to come back again after a nap so we will stay till 4 then go back and have a rest before heading out for dinner.

SwedeDreams Fri 24-Apr-15 13:12:35

Just me, DP, and DS. It is only affordable staying on-site for us with the free dining thrown in- if we had to pay for food on top of that I'd be staying elsewhere. I like living in the bubble and getting the buses etc though- and can cope in one room as we are not there often.

Plus DS is only child and really enjoys the pool and movies under the stars with other kids. I think villas are great if you have bigger families- but not so much if you have a sociable only child!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now