Anyone got a Disney/Florida Holiday Planned Part 2

(197 Posts)
Groovee Uruguay Thu 03-Oct-13 16:36:43
couch25cakes Thu 03-Oct-13 21:50:53

Me!! grin
We're off in August 2014 for our third trip.

NickNacks Thu 03-Oct-13 21:52:34

Yes! April 2014 for us smile

Only have flights and villa booked so far... Eek

couch25cakes Thu 03-Oct-13 21:58:12

We have a week at Disney and 10 days in villa booked, but are holding out for better flight prices. It's nerve wracking!

AnneEyhtMeyer Honduras Thu 03-Oct-13 21:58:57

Oh great to have a new thread, Groovee.

Just over a year for us now - 379 days to go! Will be mine and DH's 5th time, and DD's 4th.

Think we are going to book a character meal for the first time this year. I'm torn between breakfast at the Crystal Palace or dinner at the castle. Anyone got an opinion either way? DD will be 5.6 when we go next time.

AnneEyhtMeyer Honduras Thu 03-Oct-13 22:00:07

Meant to say we are staying at Caribbean Beach this time. It is our first time there but we always stay on site.

MollyBear Thu 03-Oct-13 22:05:44

We are off in 2 weeks - very excited! Think we have everything sorted now, so just got to count down the days.

Groovee Uruguay Fri 04-Oct-13 00:49:34

I'd love to go back next summer. Can't see it happening. Really enjoyed this year.

Yonididnaedaethat Fri 04-Oct-13 10:22:39

Me!! Fly out Friday 13th June!...not sure if I should be worried about the date shock.

laurenamium Fri 04-Oct-13 13:51:57

Me! We go Monday morning gringrin I'm so excited!

NickNacks Fri 04-Oct-13 16:29:25

<waves to Lauren> how are you? smile

newfavouritething Fri 04-Oct-13 19:44:02

NickNacks - we're there april as well - you're doing better than me - I have only flights booked.

surgicalwidow Fri 04-Oct-13 21:24:17

Joining new thread! We're planning a Florida trip next May - DH is out there for a conference and DD, who will be 16 months, and I are going to fly over to meet him afterwards. We weren't planning to do Disney because DD won't remember, we both went as kids, but now we think that we have to go smile. So, the plan is just to do Magic Kingdom for a day, then off to Naples to the beach and sun!

Has anyone been / is going with a young baby / toddler? Any tips? For the long flight / jet lag as well as Disney smile

AnneEyhtMeyer Honduras Fri 04-Oct-13 22:02:18

Hi surgical. We first took DD when she was 22 months. She loved it, and we have so many lovely memories of seeing her enjoying herself there.

As for the flight - take snacks and lots of toys and hand them out at frequent intervals. We also took DD for walks around the plane regularly.

AnneEyhtMeyer Honduras Fri 04-Oct-13 22:03:08

Oh and jet lag was only an issue on the return home. When we get there we go to bed very early and get up early the next day and then we're sorted.

GlitterKitty Sat 05-Oct-13 14:06:55

Me! We are off to Disney in Feb- 2 weeks at Old Key West with free dining. We did Caribbean Beach last Feb.

I have already booked our restaurants, having been scared by stories of no tables. We are having lunch in Cinderellas castle one day- hoping DS will enjoy this... grin

Feeling excited about the dinner shows- we did quick service dining last year and didn't do any of this stuff- T-Rex, Hoop de Doo Revue etc. Most saddened that Blizzard Beach is closed again, I was looking forward to that. May do Aquatica instead- anyone been? Is it good for non swimmers (DS is 6)?

Anyone got any good links to sites I can go on and get excited about Disney stuff- tips etc?

AnneEyhtMeyer Honduras Sat 05-Oct-13 14:33:03

Glitter - how was Caribbean Beach? I'm still nervous about it, as we usually always stay at French Quarter.

I will be interested to hear what you think of lunch at Cinderella's castle - thinking of doing this next October with DD.

For the best tips and advice, go to the Dibb. There's never a question they can't answer! As far as books go, I don't think the Unofficial Guide can be beaten.

Yonididnaedaethat Sat 05-Oct-13 14:46:16

Is anyone planning on going to Lego Land? I would like to hear you're thoughts on it, when I go the DC's ages will be 7months, 2, 10 and 15 I know it'll prob be rubbish for the older ones but I think my 2 year old would really enjoy it.

AnneEyhtMeyer Honduras Sat 05-Oct-13 15:50:31

Not planning of going to Legoland while there, but did you know you can get Legoland Florida tickets with your Tesco clubcard points?

GlitterKitty Sun 06-Oct-13 03:12:43

Ooo Anne, that legoland tickets tip is brilliant, thank you! We were thinking of going there, it looks great for younger kids. And you can build a raft of Lego bricks in the lazy river grin.

We really liked Caribbean beach, I was thinking of doing port Orleans originally but for £150 extra we could stay at old key west and get upgraded dining and a deluxe studio, plus walkable into downtown Disney, so we went with that! Still want to try port Orleans one year though.

If I had the money I would be staying at either fort wilderness (loved the lobby, the ambiance, rocking chairs and the gorgeous bar) or more likely the beach club for closeness to epcot, boardwalk and stormaway bay!

If you want to know anything specific about Caribbean beach do ask. I thought it was great but nothing to compare it to as it was our first time. I particularly liked the movies under the stars being next to the pool bar, many nights we watched the films while having a couple of beers! Will be interesting to see how OKW compares.

Not booked yet but definite plans for 2014 smile

Turniphead1 Sun 06-Oct-13 15:11:53

We are booked for April 14 - so getting VERY close to the magical 180 day point at which we can start booking Character dining etc.

Anne upthread asked re: Crystal Palace or Cinderella's table. The latter is considered the best, very good ratio of characters to guests - but v hard to get into. A tip is to try for lunch or dinner - as breakfasts seem to be more popular. We are planning on quick breakfasts - and getting to the parks early.

We have 9 full days at WDW (Grand floridian villas) - then 4 days on Disney Magic to Bahamas - then 3 days at Universal before home. Have been saving for many years - and as I have just had a major hip op this is something to look forward to for us and the 3 kids after a tough year.

Just got the Unofficial Guide for 2014 and have to say its so useful. But dauntingly large. I thought we had tonnes of time at WDW - but it seems we could do with 2 weeks at least....

Anyone whose been - which is better Typhoon Beach or Blizzard Beach? We can probably only do one. Kids are 5,8 & 10 and quite good swimmers.

Hope anyone who is there now is having a lovely time. Would loved to have gone in Sept/Oct but we are restricted to school holidays.

Turniphead1 Sun 06-Oct-13 15:37:49

Just looking at the old thread - and saw that Groovee felt Blizzard Beach better than TL.

One other query - given kids aged 5,8,10 is two days at Epcot too much? Porbably wouldn't be two full days... but trying to work off the touring plans/Official Guide stuff...

GlitterKitty Sun 06-Oct-13 15:45:05

We loved epcot and did that the most fall the parks last time. I wasn't expecting to but DS 6 really enjoyed it there. However yours are older and prob want to do rides more, so maybe a day would be enough. It's a big park though so would be a lot of walking.

We have done typhoons lagoon but not blizzard beach so can't help with your other question

goodgrief54 Sun 06-Oct-13 17:15:11

Hi. We go on May 13th for 17 days.. Sooo exciting. am looking forward to telling our ds (8) & dd(6) most of all, they have never even been on a plane so will b vvvv excited. Still working out how to do the reveal and debating christmas day but unsure...

We are staying at orange lake in kissimmee. Has anyone stayed there?

Tips galore needed as very much first timers.. smile smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now